SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-07, 03:40 PM   #1
weazelz

Default dutch speeding ticket - do I need to pay?

I have just received a dutch speeding ticket for an offence on 1st June this year. 119kmh in a 100kmh limit on the amsterdam ring-road at 03:30 in the morning in a hire car. I know I did it, I remember seeing the speed camera too late & being glad - wrongly? - that I wasn't in the UK

sooo .. am I obliged to pay it? it's all in dutch so I'm just wondering whether it's an automatic thing that's been sent out not realizing that I'm in the UK

~andy
Old 03-08-07, 03:53 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: dutch speeding ticket - do I need to pay?

Have the hire co. got your credit card details?
I don't know if they would be lumbered with the fine & pass it on to you with a big admin charge.
Probably not though.
HTH
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 03:57 PM   #3
ScottishRawker

I think its due to it being a hire car the fine will have gone to the company then they said "twas this person speeding !" but dont know if you need to pay or not.
ScottishRawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 03:59 PM   #4
NadineDieBiene

Hi there, no worries, nothing can happen: Although we are in the EU, countries cannot charge you if you have a foreign driving licence, really.

I rode through a speed cam in Bristol, but I have a German licence, so I got the first letter, replied as good as I could, even putting down my licence number - and the second letler said that they will drop charges.

(Now I am in Germany with a British number plate - meaning I can park where ever the hell I want...)

regards, Nadine
Old 03-08-07, 04:34 PM   #5
Warthog

My Dad got one from Germany when he lives in Belgium, he ended up paying it. The Germans have been known to get a bit aggressive on occasions...
Old 03-08-07, 04:36 PM   #6
muffles

Don't have to pay it but don't go back to Holland again...
Old 03-08-07, 07:47 PM   #7
Moffatt666

God bless the EU - 20 member tsates and 200 different licencing systems!
Old 03-08-07, 08:13 PM   #8
hoodlum

if you fail to pay a fine in the EU states; and I know this from experience (not me m'lud) you can be arrested on re-entry, particularly at airports. The initial speeding fines will have multiplied in amount, court fees will have been added, and I know of one person who spent ages in jail on arriving in Germany for just such an offence of not paying because it was a foreign speeding fine.

So, Nadine - that's the sort of thing you could end up with if you park illegally in Germany - Why haven't you got german plates? and why aren't you paying german taxes for cars? You can only reside for so long in a country on your importing countries plates before you have to re-register your car (export happens from the day you take it out of the country of origin - unles syou're ona very long "holiday?")
Old 03-08-07, 09:05 PM   #9
toonyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
I have just received a dutch speeding ticket for an offence on 1st June this year. 119kmh in a 100kmh limit on the amsterdam ring-road at 03:30 in the morning in a hire car. I know I did it, I remember seeing the speed camera too late & being glad - wrongly? - that I wasn't in the UK

sooo .. am I obliged to pay it? it's all in dutch so I'm just wondering whether it's an automatic thing that's been sent out not realizing that I'm in the UK

~andy
Well I don't know if the hire company will try and get money out of you but one thing is for certain, it was a driving offence so someone WILL pay I'm fairly sure
Old 03-08-07, 09:45 PM   #10
Ed

Where's Neio when you need him