SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2007 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2007 SV650.org's bigger & better annual rideout.

Closed Thread

Old 24-06-07, 09:25 PM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Exclamation The Last word (AE07)

OK people last post on the subject before the event.

The schedule has been posted so have a look, should be a good weekend but that’s down to all of you, the meet & greet team will be there to direct as needed and hand out name badges, competition forms & map/tanklist ( for AR07), so make sure you visit them when you arrive (or go find them, mug shots in their thread).

There will be a central lit area with a bit of music and chat in place of the social turns( all arranged stuff will be happening here), Quiff will be doing a quiz at BBQ time (Sat), so don’t miss that, a bit later Sid Squid will be showing some basic service and safety checks and perhaps common issues if time allows, a demo of puncture repair using both the Rep & Air plugs and also the sticky string, if you’ve never used one it’s worth knowing and you’ll never have to wait for a recovery man to do it again. A basic look at what to do if you come across an accident (or it happens to your mate on a rideout) , will be the tech turns.

For the new guys or those not used to this sort of thing an experienced eye will be available Saturday morning to have a look if you have a specific concern about your bike. (see schedule).
Note: This is not a free MOT or anything like it, those who’ll check for you are there for a weekend away too, don’t dominate their time, however if you should find yourself with a possible problem with your bike, an informal, but experienced eye will offer an opinion.
Other things to mention, well the lovely KrazyKim will be doing a beer run (as she has the car there, so at 6pm Saturday she’ll be taking orders (pay up front) and she’ll save you a trip (she of course will expect a brew if you’re making one, but that’s a small price to pay).

I’ll have a fair assortment of tools and a number of us will be carrying spares (levers, cables, nuts & bolts, fuses, bulbs, general fix-it stuff) so if you’ve a problem give us a shout we may just be able to save the day !

Although no first aid cover is provided, we do have a number of St Johns trained people and I myself was an Ambulance Paramedic for 12 years, so if you want a second opinion let us know.

Last minute list - Don’t forget!

Check your bike, tyres, brakes & fluids.
Sidestand puck (you’re parking in a field).
Chain loob ( it’s a long way).
Charge your phone.
Take details of recovery (if you’ve got it).
Plastic bags (even if your bags are supposed to be waterproof, always wise to pack everything in plastic bags to be sure).
If you have new alu cookware, boil water in it first (unless you like that metallic taste).
Money.
Aspirin/ Paracetamol (might need that Sunday morning)

Oh and set your recorders for the Assen GP.

Have fun and see you there!

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 24-06-07, 09:39 PM   #2
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Last word (AE07)

Good first parade advise there, See you soon, Looking forward to this now..
Old 25-06-07, 07:38 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Strangely I was about to post a plea for people to check their bikes in view of experiences in the past.

We all know what the law requires on tyres, I know of one guy who had a ruined trip to the south of France because by Lyon his front brakes were metal to metal and it cost him not only the set of pads put a pair of disks as well.

If you have any "bodges" on your bike, check that they are sound (Gear lever bolts or tie wrapped mudguards sound familiar).

We don't know the weather, so a good set of waterproofs.

A quick check on your tyres, chain, lights, indicators, brakes, oil as Rictus has said. Bike shops are not within easy travelling of the site/route, so best avoid having to find one. For once go sensible with baffles/plates a large group in this area will attract plod attention and it would be a shame to get the whole group pulled over because one obscenely loud exhaust woke up a sleeping plod etc.

It might also be worthwhile carrying your docs. Just incase there are any pulls. The quickest way to get moving again is to stop him writing a producer.
Old 25-06-07, 08:25 AM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Sidestand puck (you’re parking in a field).
Can't find mine, so will be bringing a small lump of wood to spread the load on the sidestand through the mud. I can probably score some more of these if people want, but I won't bring any extras unless people get in touch direct with me.

Old 25-06-07, 10:49 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Sidestand puck? Use a flattened beer can, I'm sure I can be convinced into drinking the contents for anyone in need
Old 26-06-07, 08:33 AM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Sidestand puck? Use a flattened beer can, I'm sure I can be convinced into drinking the contents for anyone in need
Whilst being sound logic, for those arriving first, they're likely to have to park in a field whilst drinking that can. The field will undoubtedly be soft at least (due to the rain) so the inevitable could happen even whilst the first person is drinking the first can.

Hence me bringing wood

Old 26-06-07, 08:44 AM   #7
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
The field will undoubtedly be soft at least
SOFT?

its going to be a mud baph

Old 26-06-07, 08:46 AM   #8
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Sid Squid will be showing some basic service and safety checks and perhaps common issues if time allows
[/COLOR]
if hes wanting to demonstrate an oil change, i will voulanter my bike

Old 26-06-07, 02:42 PM   #9
melody

What on earth is a side stand puck ?

As for everything else....

I took my bike in for an interim service yesterday and asked them to look at everything. Picked it up today and asked the salesman if there was anything of concern. He said "NO" and that was the end of that conversation.

So I'll trust that my bike is in good nick. As for spare nuts, bolts,fuses etc might as well be talking to me in the local language of Timbuktu.

Melody

Old 26-06-07, 02:44 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post
What on earth is a side stand puck ?
A bit of plastic that you get when you buy a new bike. All it does is spead the load from the side stand to prevent the side stand digging into the floor & the bike falling over (distinct possibility in the middle of a wet field).

Also, don't ask salesmen any questions where the answer could be important, ask a technician if you have to (just not a sales technician or a customer technician).

Closed Thread