SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

View Poll Results: What date shall we go
Porlocks on 15th September 2007 0 0%
Porlocks on 22nd September 2007 0 0%
Porlocks on 29th September 2007 0 0%
New Route on 15th September 2007 9 81.82%
New Route on 22nd September 2007 1 9.09%
New Route on 29th September 2007 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-07, 09:42 AM   #1
Mogs

Default Ride Round Exmoor the other way – September 2007

People have asked for a re-run of the Porlocks in September, but in the opposite direction this time.

This post is just to put up the suggestion and get some initial feedback. Any Ideas?
Old 02-04-07, 09:57 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ride Round Exmoor the other way – September 2007

I've got a slightly different route we could do...

Start at Podimore Services where the A303 / A37 meet
From there nice twisy road to Bridgewater, Stop at the Ducati Dealer for a cup of tea etc etc
From there Minehead / Porlock, Lynton.
Then A399, then A361 ( a bit dull but only a short hop ) to the Services at Tiverton
Then down backroads to Cullumpton, then A373 towards Honiton, then A30 back towards Chard, Crewkerne, some nice backroads back to the A303 and then quick blast up to the services at Podimore.

I ran this the year before last, I know the route well and I'd be happy to lead the whole day.

Bridgwater can be a bit of a git especially on Saturday but if we run the drop off again and it works well like it did on Satuday then it wont be a problem.

The A399 and the A373 are particularly fun, and have a better road surface on them than the A396 did.

I'd have to find a decent pub to stop at for lunch though but I cant see that being a problem.

I'm free work wise any of those weekends at the moment, if we wanted to chop some milleage off and make it a little more accessable for the Welsh / Bristol crew we could start at Riders in Bridgwater...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 02-04-07 at 10:03 AM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 10:09 AM   #3
mac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
From there nice twisy road to Bridgewater, Stop at the Ducati Dealer for a cup of tea etc etc
From there Minehead / Porlock, Lynton.
Is there a decent route for this? The one I know has continuous (pointless) double whites on it. But I don't really know this area, so I stand to be corrected.
Old 02-04-07, 10:16 AM   #4
Viper

New route would be good, something different. But can we go to the little chef?

Fizz, they are some good roads and i quite like the sound of it. I'm in.
Not fussed about which day but have voted for the 15th.
Old 02-04-07, 10:34 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac99 View Post
Is there a decent route for this? The one I know has continuous (pointless) double whites on it. But I don't really know this area, so I stand to be corrected.

Not really no, it does have a lot of double white lines on the section from Bridgwater to Minehead, but I dont really know of otherway of getting from Minehead from Bridgwater, I think theres a more coastal route, but I dont know what the roads like...

If consensus is for a new route, then I'll get out and reccie that section and try and find a better way to get to Minehead.

Old 02-04-07, 11:35 AM   #6
Viper

Quote:

If consensus is for a new route, then I'll get out and reccie that section and try and find a better way to get to Minehead.
If you want some company give me a shout
Old 02-04-07, 12:56 PM   #7
Mogs

I was thinking of Dorset/Wiltshire Area, we maybe able to tempt the softy southerners and I can get a photo of two old relics, Stonehenge and Jabba in one shot.

Unless Viper can guarantee the floor show at Tiverton Little Chef that is!
Old 02-04-07, 01:13 PM   #8
Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
I was thinking of Dorset/Wiltshire Area, we maybe able to tempt the softy southerners and I can get a photo of two old relics, Stonehenge and Jabba in one shot.

Unless Viper can guarantee the floor show at Tiverton Little Chef that is!
I was out riding yesterday and found some roads that were absolute corkers. from bruton, somerset to mere wiltshire, through the longbridge deveral, Kingston Deverall etc into warminster, a little bit of fast bypass and then up past longleat into frome through my home town of bruton, into gillingham, dorset up to shaftesbury and back to warminster then back to mere and home to bruton. About a 110 mile trip of fantastic twists, turns, straights and some good pubs on the way. Of course an adaptation towards stonehenge would fit in after shaftesbury.
If someONE would like to come out for a reccie with me to see what they think i will buy lunch
Old 02-04-07, 01:16 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Zig Zag, that'll be fun, the road around the Deverills into Mere is a hoot as well.

Viper, I'm quite happy to do a reccie with you, expect Liz will to any excuse for a bimble on a nice day.

Oh and if you wanted to come alot more south, theres always the Weymouth to Bridport Coast road, Gives some nice views out across Chesil Beach

Last edited by fizzwheel; 02-04-07 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 02:19 PM   #10
Viper

Quote:
Zig Zag, that'll be fun, the road around the Deverills into Mere is a hoot as well.

Viper, I'm quite happy to do a reccie with you, expect Liz will to any excuse for a bimble on a nice day.
Ok your on.
We will pick a sunday and i will bring Mrs Viper as pillion and we will do lunch and have a look.