SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-11-13, 07:16 PM   #1
TheRuffellator

Default New smartphone advice

I've seen a few of these types of questions posted recently but none have really answered my question/need for advice. If it doesn't interest you scroll on!

A question to all of you Tefal heads an tech minded people out there, I've just been offered an upgrade from my mobile provider and I'm not sure what to go for - here are the options:
iPhone 5s
Samsung Galaxy s4
Samsung Note 3

(I currently have an iPhone 4S but I'm not particularly fussed about switching to android) I mainly use my phone for texting and social networking, I don't really know much about either of the Samsung's and was hoping people could shed some light/their experience/views... An what they would choose and why.

Cheers Ruff

Sent via Crayola using the black crayon.
Old 26-11-13, 07:19 PM   #2
atassiedevil

Default Re: New smartphone advice

I have the note 2. I'd go for the note 3. The extra screen real estate makes a pile of difference in every respect.
Something smaller, S4 would be my choice. Iphone would be my last pick on this list.
Old 26-11-13, 07:22 PM   #3
TheRuffellator

The Note 3 is probably my favourite at the moment but I'm slightly worried it might be a bit too big? For everyday carrying and usage etc.. Why would you have it in that order with the iPhone last? Out of interest

Old 26-11-13, 07:33 PM   #4
chris8886
Mega Poster

I have gone from Iphone 4 to Samsung galaxy s3 mini, has been and continues to be a horrible experience. however I can say I'm thankfully not on apple anymore as the latest 'update' is a shocking backward step (in my view, all they've done is change stuff for the sake of it and since made it harder to use!!). the Samsung I am still struggling to get used to and I've had it for about a year (I think). tbh, I can't say that I know of any decent phones around atm (but then I'm not looking). I also really don't like how phones are getting so stupidly massive these days. I don't give a flying f*** about the screen being huge, if I want a big screen I have a laptop or a tv for that!! aaarrrrgggghhhhh.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-13, 07:36 PM   #5
TheRuffellator

I've not properly used a samsung phone for a long period of time so I don't really know how it compares to the iPhone. iOS7 seems to have massively divided people, I for one really like the new update, seems a lot cleaner and tidier than before.

Old 26-11-13, 10:20 PM   #6
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Re: New smartphone advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
I have gone from Iphone 4 to Samsung galaxy s3 mini, has been and continues to be a horrible experience. however I can say I'm thankfully not on apple anymore as the latest 'update' is a shocking backward step (in my view, all they've done is change stuff for the sake of it and since made it harder to use!!). the Samsung I am still struggling to get used to and I've had it for about a year (I think). tbh, I can't say that I know of any decent phones around atm (but then I'm not looking). I also really don't like how phones are getting so stupidly massive these days. I don't give a flying f*** about the screen being huge, if I want a big screen I have a laptop or a tv for that!! aaarrrrgggghhhhh.
Chris you have a great phone but your stubborn refusal to read the instructions on how to use it or even learn where the buttons are mean you can't get the hang of it! That's not Samsung's fault.

I'm due an upgrade soon from an S2 so will be interested to read people's conclusions as I'll stick with Samsung.
Old 26-11-13, 11:03 PM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I used the salesman IP5s and its a lovely pice of kit.
Most of our lot at work have Samsung S3 and S4 I had an S2 till it got wet.
All the Jellybeans are sharp easy to use .
Im thinking of getting another Droid (the Nexus 5) but the Iphone still feels slick and works fine and will hold a better resale value when your 2 years is up(if you look after it)
Old 26-11-13, 11:03 PM   #8
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

I have an iPhone because I have a deep seated craving to become one of the "cool people" and cool people have iPhones.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-13, 07:03 AM   #9
Specialone

I have an iPhone 4s, I would really love to hate my phone, I don't really like apple as a company, I can't stand all the chintzy upgrades and their arrogance about not being able to use memory cards or Bluetooth file transfer.

But, after fiddling with various phones in shops, I just can't see any that are better to use, or easier to use.