SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-03-19, 06:14 AM   #1
Othen

Default Any Experience with Bike-Seal?

I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with this Bike Seal product in road bikes with tubeless tyres on cast wheels:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Seal...53.m2749.l2649

It is a self sealing compound that seems to fix tyre punctures. I use it on my green lane bike (CCM with wire wheels, tubes and knobby tyres) and it seems to work there (maybe I haven't had any punctures - maybe I have - that is what is supposed to happen) but that bike rarely goes over 50 MPH and I'm not fussed at all about the on-road handling. I was toying with the idea of trying it in my K6 but I thought I'd ask the question first to see if anyone had any good or bad experience with it.

The manufacturter claims the product is fine for tubeless tyres and alloys, but I'm slightly concerned that changing the unsprung weight by 250g at each wheel may adversely affect the handling, and also that the compound may affect the alloy rims themselves.

Has anyone tried this product on a road bike?

Alan
Old 28-03-19, 10:54 AM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Any Experience with Bike-Seal?

I used Goop and Slime on my old Hondas and never had a puncture.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...alant&_sacat=0

I used to do my own tyre swaps and you could see inside the carcase where it had plugged some tiny possible punctures.

I also keep one of these under my seat,

http://tinyurl.com/y4dvj4aw

and one of these with a couple of cartridges,

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/jetvalve...ator/p/0337769

You can get spare cartridges from Wikos as well.

no good for a Sidewall puncture but I've found them to be rare.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 28-03-19 at 10:59 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-19, 12:40 PM   #3
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Welcome to try!
" 1973 worked for Goodyear as F1 tyre fitter
To combat punctures they brought in McLoTy to solve these.
1) test with Ronnie Peterson at Silverstone: Engineer would puncture a tyre with a screwdriver and RP would drive 'at speed' and report back.
Never seen anyone go completely white as said engineer when he thought RP was only doing a 'warm up' lap and there was no McLoTy applied.
We could hear the Lotus engine screaming, together with the 'machine gun' fusillade of tyre vibration sounds.
Result: nothing, RP was well aware of the problem and drove like that to teach engineer a lesson.
2) Trying it in anger. Apply McLoTy to wet tyres and mount on rims.
Cars do warm up lap and form grid.
Go! or not, because the gunge had warmed up and sunk to the bottom of the tyre, giving monumental out of balance. The wheels just bounced up and down!
That was the last we heard of of it.
McLoTy from McLaren, Lotus and Tyrell - the favoured three "
Old 28-03-19, 12:49 PM   #4
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I used Goop and Slime on my old Hondas and never had a puncture.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...alant&_sacat=0

I used to do my own tyre swaps and you could see inside the carcase where it had plugged some tiny possible punctures.

I also keep one of these under my seat,

http://tinyurl.com/y4dvj4aw

and one of these with a couple of cartridges,

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/jetvalve...ator/p/0337769

You can get spare cartridges from Wikos as well.

no good for a Sidewall puncture but I've found them to be rare.

Many thanks.
I still keep one of the older type tubeless repair kits in the garage, tyre shops can’t use them any more because they don’t accord with the BS, but I find them really useful for fixing quad bike punctures (off road use only of course officer!). I use the CO2 cartridges for my pushbikes, but I’d not thought of using it on a motorbike - I wonder how many cartridges it would take to inflate a back tyre (have you tried?).
Thank you for the comments about using Goop (I think this is much the same thing) - I’m guessing the tiny change in unstrung weight had no effect on the handling?
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28-03-19, 01:31 PM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks.
I still keep one of the older type tubeless repair kits in the garage, tyre shops can’t use them any more because they don’t accord with the BS, but I find them really useful for fixing quad bike punctures (off road use only of course officer!). I use the CO2 cartridges for my pushbikes, but I’d not thought of using it on a motorbike - I wonder how many cartridges it would take to inflate a back tyre (have you tried?).
Thank you for the comments about using Goop (I think this is much the same thing) - I’m guessing the tiny change in unstrung weight had no effect on the handling?
Alan

I have been lucky and not had a puncture on my SV and never had one on my Hondas.I don't know how many it would take but I guess at least three or 4 depending on their size.

Some info on a searchy.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I think I'll make a folded up piece of A4 with the words,"I Need A Foot Pump" on it and flag down a car<BFG>

Also probably going to Goop/Slime my tyres anyway as I do ride a lot of,"Goat Tracks"

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 28-03-19 at 01:40 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-19, 01:47 PM   #6
Othen

Quote:
I have been lucky and not had a puncture on my SV and never had one on my Hondas.I don't know how many it would take but I guess at least three or 4 depending on their size.

Some info on a searchy.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I think I'll make a folded up piece of A4 with the words,"I Need A Foot Pump" on it and flag down a car<BFG>

Also probably going to Goop/Slime my tyres anyway as I do ride a lot of,"Goat Tracks"

That is interesting - 6 or 7 CO2 cartridges, I thought as much as one fills a pencil thin road bike tyre to about 60psi. As long as there are no adverse effects I think I might try some Bike-Seal on the K6 as a precaution- the other advantage would be it would work on the side walls as well. The stuff seems to work pretty well on the CCM - and punctures are pretty common with off-road bikes.
Alan

Old 28-03-19, 01:56 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
That is interesting - 6 or 7 CO2 cartridges, I thought as much as one fills a pencil thin road bike tyre to about 60psi. As long as there are no adverse effects I think I might try some Bike-Seal on the K6 as a precaution- the other advantage would be it would work on the side walls as well. The stuff seems to work pretty well on the CCM - and punctures are pretty common with off-road bikes.
Alan

As I said I used it for over 10 years on my Hondas and never got a puncture and had no problems with it.I have a decent local Bike Mech now and he knows I use it so said he would let,"Me" clean it off when I next have another tyre fitted after he has stripped the tyre off the rim to keep costs down.
Old 28-03-19, 02:08 PM   #8
Othen

Quote:
As I said I used it for over 10 years on my Hondas and never got a puncture and had no problems with it.I have a decent local Bike Mech now and he knows I use it so said he would let,"Me" clean it off when I next have another tyre fitted after he has stripped the tyre off the rim to keep costs down.

I change my own tyres on the tubed bikes, but I don’t know whether I’d be able to with the tubeless ones on the SV. I’ve never tried to change a tubeless bike tyre with levers myself.

I don’t know how much residue there would be left on the rims - 250ml minus any that had sealed punctures, minus whatever was captured in the tyre that gets removed (which I’m guessing would be most of it due to the centripetal force), so I’d be surprised if there was any more than a quick wipe over required to clean the rim up.

Old 28-03-19, 02:11 PM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
I change my own tyres on the tubed bikes, but I don’t know whether I’d be able to with the tubeless ones on the SV. I’ve never tried to change a tubeless bike tyre with levers myself.

I don’t know how much residue there would be left on the rims - 250ml minus any that had sealed punctures, minus whatever was captured in the tyre that gets removed (which I’m guessing would be most of it due to the centripetal force), so I’d be surprised if there was any more than a quick wipe over required to clean the rim up.

I used to do my own but getting the beads to seal on Tubeless can be a PITA even with tricks.My Local Bike Mech does them for a Fiver off the bike so it's not worth me risking damaging the rims or getting my levers or rim protectors out
Old 28-03-19, 04:19 PM   #10
Othen

Quote:
I used to do my own but getting the beads to seal on Tubeless can be a PITA even with tricks.My Local Bike Mech does them for a Fiver off the bike so it's not worth me risking damaging the rims or getting my levers or rim protectors out

In that case I see your point, if it only cost me a fiver I wouldn’t bother with changing tyres myself.
I was thinking of investing in a proper bead breaker rather than jumping on a scaffold plank!