SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-19, 08:51 PM   #1
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Mirror ((( shake )))

Anyone got any top tips for reducing mirror shake? Riding today on my first observed IAM ride and the one thing that became quickly obvious (when I missed a turn as I couldn't see my observer indicating behind me) is that my mirrors are sometimes shaking too much on rougher roads to see the observer and their signals behind me unless they're right on my tail. Important as when I do the test at some point in the future half the ride will be taking signals from behind and I could fail on observations if I miss one.

I'm imagining anything to weight the ends to stop vibration will actually add to the wobble.

Any tips / solutions / miracles greatly appreciated.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 12:23 AM   #2
Talking Heads

Default Re: Mirror ((( shake )))

Fairing or bar mount, standard or aftermarket?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 07:19 AM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Standard K8 SV650s fairing mounted.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 02-04-19 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 08:00 AM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

I don't recall the mirrors on my K6S shaking so much that I couldn't see behind, but then again I wasn't doing observed rides either ...

The only thing I can think is, are the two main fairing mounting bolts just in front of the steering head properly tight? Shortly after buying my K6, I realised that a rattle / clonk from the front end was because those two bolts had worked a little loose. Quickly fixed.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 08:31 AM   #5
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Do you have intercom?
Does your observer?
Will the examiner?
But don't tell the observer why though you could ask him why it vibrates.
Old 02-04-19, 09:06 AM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

One of the main causes of Mirrors vibrating is the Carbs/Fuel bodies out-of-sync.One of the best investments I ever made was buying a Morgan,"Carbtune2" balancer,

https://www.carbtune.com/index.html

https://www.carbtune.com/carbcust.html

It's now around 15 years old and still like new.Fantastic quality and serviceable.

I suffer from VWF(Vibration White Finger) so am very sensitive to vibrations through the bars.My 1999 Curvy has as close to zero vibrations as possible.

If I didn't have a super smooth Motorcycle it would be hard for me to ride any distance but I also have heavy bar-end weights just in case.Bar end weights don't really reduce vibrations too much but can shift them to a rev band where they are not an annoyance.

If you watch this video of me going over the Humber Bridge you can see how little my mirrors vibrate,

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Properly balanced Fuel bodies also mean the engine and throttle response are superb as they should be.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 02-04-19 at 09:26 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 11:36 AM   #7
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers.

The vibration is not constant though, only when riding rough road and going over bumps, so I don't think it's anything to do with the engine. Any synchronisation needs to be done by a dealer on the K8 too as it needs their special tools to lock the fuel injection.

Observer and examiner won't use intercoms.
Old 02-04-19, 11:37 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Cheers.

The vibration is not constant though, only when riding rough road and going over bumps, so I don't think it's anything to do with the engine. Any synchronisation needs to be done by a dealer on the K8 too as it needs their special tools to lock the fuel injection.

That's a shame

Perhaps a trip to a trusted Mech or the dealer?

My MOT guy is cool and will use his rolling road/brake tester to diagnose things usually for free and check them for his customers.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 02-04-19 at 11:45 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 01:01 PM   #9
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Can you fiddle with your suspension/tyre pressures? It may limit how much vibration is being transmitted through to them? Maybe see if loosening your grip helps.

We use comms for the most part but also do runs without as sometimes they fail so it's worth making sure you can. Have you explained the issue to your obs? They should be understanding as it's about safety not trying to spot an indicator in your mirror.

Failing that, when junctions are coming up try and sus how far away you are when they start to signal, then at least you can get an extra check in and hopefully catch it.

Don't forget, your examiner is not going to try and catch you out, when you put in for your test and speak to them, explain your issues, they may surprise you.

Ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 02:48 PM   #10
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Cheers.

Are you sure on this? At least you could use the old plastic tube with water in it to see if they need rebalancing.....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote