SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-10, 06:21 PM   #1
Jordy

Default 33BHP restrictor question

This has probably been asked many times before...

Was talking to a mate about doing my practical test today, wondering whether I should do the standard test on the 125cc or the Direct Access.
Im 22 in March and have clocked up almost a thousand miles on my 125cc and feel confident I can pass (on a 125). I've never ridden anything bigger than a 125 is it much harder to contol/handle?

I said to him I might as well just do the normal test on a 125 and then get an sv650 and restrict it to 33BHP for 2 years and build my no claims up.

He replied with - "yeah just get it restricted to get the certificate, then de-restrict it straight afterwards lols. It's just a case of plugging in an ECU, plug the orgional back in afterwards." This is obviously illegal but who would know, the police wont take it on a dyno...?

Anyone know of anyone who has done this?

How much more difficult is it to ride a bigger bike? Anyone have troubles going from a 125 to a 500? Shall I book a lesson to see how I get on first?
My local training centre offer: -

Standard DAS Course £135.00 per training day.
Minimum Two Days with Test Fees included.
Price includes bike hire and insurance.
One training day will involve riding to Exeter to take the Module One test (Test Fees Included)

Shall I just go ahead and book this?

Last edited by Jordy; 30-01-10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 30-01-10, 06:48 PM   #2
BBadger

Default Re: 33BHP restrictor question

hardest thing to do is getting use to the weight if youve never ridden anything bigger than a 125, and u turn. 125 does it on a penny bigger 500 needs to be worked.

If you could get abit of practice on a bigger bike i think it would help you make up your mind.
Old 30-01-10, 06:56 PM   #3
Holdup

Do the DAS then, if you go down the restricted route and remove the 33bhp restrictor it will make your insurance invalid as your are not sticking to the terms of your licence.

Curvey 99 - 02 is washers under the carbs and pointy 03 > is a ecu or can be done by washers and throttle restrction on the throttle bodies
Old 30-01-10, 07:03 PM   #4
Seggons

While many people do take the restricted ECU out and replace it with the full power they are taking a gamble. If you were to have a off and it was found out that you've changed the ECU your in deep do do. First your insurance will be void then you'll be in trouble because you don't have a licence to ride a bike of that power. To put it another way would you ride a bike without a licence and without insurance?
Old 30-01-10, 08:41 PM   #5
Jordy

Yeah good point, although it's very unlikely I will get found out, the consequences are just too severe. I will take the DAS route as you have suggested. Cheers gents.

Plus I've just seen that the standard test will cost more, because they will charge 75£ to trailer the 125 to Exeter.

Last edited by Jordy; 30-01-10 at 08:44 PM.
Old 30-01-10, 08:48 PM   #6
Rob969

I did my DAS last year with no prior bike experience did the first 3 days on a 125 then the last 2 on a 500 only took a few hours to feel comfortable on the 500 and personally i found it easier to ride and do the manouvers on the bigger bike.
Old 31-01-10, 01:50 AM   #7
jamesterror

Do the DAS, wait till March.

I went from lessons on a EN125 to jumping straight on an SV, love it, weight only really affected me the first time I rode but obviously you get use to it.

I find the turning circle on the SV to be not too great, so the GS500 is the ideal bike to learn on so I'm told.
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 02:34 AM   #8
barwel1992

i went from a 50cc to a 660cc with 2 days on a 125cc in between took my restricted test (both parts on the same day) passed both first time got on a 660cc got restriction paper work and unrestricted it ....... the 660 only had 45bhp any way and only did 99mph (my mates 600 hornet can do 100mph on 33bhp)

so its posible and its amazing how quickly you get used to the power and weight
Old 31-01-10, 08:38 AM   #9
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

To be honest, don't bother taking the restrictor out. On a newer SV, with the FI in, the restrictor hardly effects anything until you reach 113mph (on a private runway of course). That is more than enough for a starter considering that you can corner etc at the same speed as others on here. It will also give you something to look forward to. After 2 years you will begin to maybe get bored and think "I want something new". By taking the restrictor out you will suddenly have what feels like a new bike for you.

As an aside, what is making you think to do it on a 125? I didn't believe my instructor but he said before "the bigger bike is actually easier to ride". The reason being, better bike, better brakes, better suspension, more power.....when controlled, these things made it easier to ride. The only thing that is harder is slow manouevering cause of the extra weight.....but I really wouldn't worry bout it at all, do it on a 500 and you won't regret it.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 10:41 AM   #10
Rob969

I found the bigger bike easier to manouvere as most of it could be done with the bike just on tick over