SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-11-15, 11:06 PM   #1
tonyk
Mega Poster

Default Chalazion how to remove - please help

All,
All these years of riding well 10 years plus and all sorts of shyt getting into my eyes flys dirt etc while riding.
I now have what's called a Chalazion on my top eye lid, am I the only one who has this ?.

Heat compress has not worked, hospital appointment end of jan 2016.
Wouldn't mind the wait but I'm getting blurred vision in that eye.

Any comments please.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 11:25 PM   #2
phi-dan

Default Re: Chalazion how to remove - please help

I just did a Google image search, wow that looks uncomfortable. I've had styes before, but nothing like that!
If it's starting to impair your vision you may be able to get bumped up the list, or get on the list for short notice/cancellation appointments.
Either way, I hope it gets sorted soon
Old 13-11-15, 09:11 AM   #3
Swin

I had one a long time ago, luckily I was in the RN at the time and had it cut out within a few days of going to see the doc.
Mine was towards the centre of my upper eyelid - so they kind of peel back the eyelid towards your forehead and then cut it out, I'd had a local anaesthetic so didn't feel a thing, it wasn't even all that uncomfortable. Happy to report that I've never had a recurrence of it either

The worst thing about the whole procedure was having to go across to Haslar on the ferry in uniform, so on the way back I was in uniform with a bloody great bandage across one eye - cue lots of "bloody hell it's Admiral Nelson" from the ferry crew
Old 13-11-15, 03:23 PM   #4
Fordward

Never had one of those, but too many miles in a convertible car does give me conjunctivitis.

I asked this same question on another forum where there's a few retro and cruiser riders who wear open face lids and they told me above 60mph they wear goggles.

So what I've learned and it has made a difference for me is not to go above 60mph with the convertible top down (which was probably never a good idea anyway because a stone kicked up from a truck at 80-90mph on the motorway, and hitting you in the head would be like a bullet).

I've never had a problem through my bike riding and I do a lot of mileage, but I do have a good quality full face helmet, the chin vent has a foam filter in it, and the wind blowing into my eyes is pretty minimal.
Old 13-11-15, 03:54 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I wouldnt go at anything like 60 without eye protection.Many years ago I failed the Merchant Navy eyesight test so I went to the doc who asked if I had been exposed to significant wind in the face.Of course I had been riding my trusty old Bantam flat out at about 50 downhill so the doc said to use eye protection.I re took the eye test and passed it a few weeks later.
Old 13-11-15, 04:02 PM   #6
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
I wouldnt go at anything like 60 without eye protection.Many years ago I failed the Merchant Navy eyesight test so I went to the doc who asked if I had been exposed to significant wind in the face.Of course I had been riding my trusty old Bantam flat out at about 50 downhill so the doc said to use eye protection.I re took the eye test and passed it a few weeks later.
Obviously a convertible car is not completely without protection, you have a windscreen, but above 60mph there is enough buffeting from the sides to get behind your sunglasses and stick dirt in your eyes.

Last edited by Fordward; 13-11-15 at 04:05 PM.
Old 13-11-15, 09:12 PM   #7
tonyk
Mega Poster

Thanks guys, the number of times dirt has got into my eye, I just blinked it out till I had a chance to stop, but most of the time I just blinked it out with a few tear's, I remember doing dispatch in London with visor up and coming home looking like a panda..lol.
But this problem is a blocked oil duck, backing the oil into my eye lid.....
Never never had this before !.
Am I the only one ?.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...

Last edited by tonyk; 13-11-15 at 11:25 PM.
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote