SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-06-16, 08:56 PM   #4751
plowsie

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Its a bit quiet in here

Planet X have some frames on sale, I couldn't resist buying this for a cheap project. I know it isn't the geniune article & its made in Vietnam, but it'll do

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOLA...speed-frameset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-16, 02:04 PM   #4752
AJC

Nice frame that, and really cheap too! One day when I have a garage and tools I will have a go at building some funky bikes.

It has gotten quiet in here, weird how there is more chat in the winter. Everyone must just be busy cycling their bikes now

As for me, I am loving my new Giant Propel. Done over 500 miles on it now in about 8 weeks (was on holiday two of those weeks) and I can't think of anything to fault. I am putting a carbon stem and carbon aero bars on it, partially to cut vibration and weight but mainly just cos I am a geek and want it to look even prettier.

Cycling wise I seem to be improving my fitness and am now managing to keep up with club guys where we are running over 19 mph avg for 25 miles at a time. pretty happy with that as I thought it would take me a lot longer to get up to that level. Also getting better at the old climbing malarkey, cut over two mins off the main climb I measure myself against on the last attempt ('Official 100Climbs no161 Crow Road').

I also climbed Teide on Tenerife as some of you might have seen on Strava. Once I get my camera back (Mum stole it to go to Rome) I will post up some pics with a mini write up of the experience to bore you all with
Old 03-06-16, 02:11 PM   #4753
plowsie

Here's my baby for racing...

Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, Ultegra 11sp. 7.4kg

She's served me well with one race win in April and now about to embark on searching for a few more points to get the next step up in licence class.

For me it's gone now from a hobby to a sport. I ride to race.

Best investment I made was a power meter, that's fitted to my training bike.

Covered 2700 miles this year and 6500 last year. It's been a weightloss come hobby come sport within the last year but I still love it and miss it when I'm not doing it.

Old 03-06-16, 02:41 PM   #4754
AJC

That's a lovely Cannondale, I do love the Zipp wheels. I was concerned I would regret buying a slightly heavier aero bike rather than the lightest I could get, but I think I have made the right choice. Pics of my Propel are a few pages back on this thread (I think).

I could see me giving racing a go some time down the line but not sure I will ever get to that level, will start out with some club time trials and hill climbs and see where I go. I used to play football at a good level til I ruined my knee, I was competitive so will see if I go the same way with the cycling.

I have heard power meters are the best training tool, again something I might get in the future but not quite there yet!
Old 03-06-16, 02:48 PM   #4755
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
That's a lovely Cannondale, I do love the Zipp wheels. I was concerned I would regret buying a slightly heavier aero bike rather than the lightest I could get, but I think I have made the right choice. Pics of my Propel are a few pages back on this thread (I think).

I could see me giving racing a go some time down the line but not sure I will ever get to that level, will start out with some club time trials and hill climbs and see where I go. I used to play football at a good level til I ruined my knee, I was competitive so will see if I go the same way with the cycling.

I have heard power meters are the best training tool, again something I might get in the future but not quite there yet!

Give the racing a go! It's what I say to everyone, it's worth it purely for the experience. Generally most cat4 stuff is on closed circuits, Rocko is my closest. You'll find a time trial is a long sustained effort, whereas racing is generally short bursts.

My PM linked with a coach has helped me come on leaps and bounds in the last 6 months. I was training like a moron before.

Old 03-06-16, 04:31 PM   #4756
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yep give racing a go, but it can get addictive. Love doing TT's 10 and 25s especially when you get a day when everything falls into place.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-16, 05:22 PM   #4757
MattCollins

I've always enjoyed and done well riding against the clock and was recently persuaded to ride a hill climb and a 40km TT (on a Shiv with a Mavic disk) doing much better than expected and it was a hoot, but that is all I want from it. I'll do it again, but there's a lot of negative aspects to the sport that I don't want and the second it stops being enjoyable I'll walk away and stick to group rides. Race, go home and don't get involved.
Old 12-06-16, 02:50 PM   #4758
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

HELP!!! Just got back from my big biking holiday yesterday afternoon and I want to get out on the bike but at the same time I'm quite happy just sitting on my backside, I can't cope there are clouds and its cold.... Can someone come round and give me a good kick to get me moving.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-16, 03:42 PM   #4759
maviczap
Mega Poster

We're all suffering these cold weather blues, plus not feeling well last week either.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-16, 09:33 PM   #4760
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Cyclists of the Org. Daughter dearest now has her new bike for her London to Paris ride, a Fuji something or other that she's really pleased with and gelling with now she's getting in the practice and training miles. My only concern is the stock tyres it came with. Vera Helios is the brand in 700x25 size but they're slick. Are these suitable for her long trip? Should I be getting her some treaded tyres or am I worrying needlessly?