SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-01-19, 02:12 PM   #6821
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
here is some advice from BT website.

When you switch off the Hub, your broadband looks like it's disconnecting. This makes the line look unstable and the broadband speed may be automatically reduced to make the line more reliable. So it's best to leave your Hub on - even at night - to get the best speeds and performance.
Whereas you'd expect them to fix the bleeding line rather than just throttle it. But I guess that costs money...
Old 02-01-19, 04:11 PM   #6822
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Whereas you'd expect them to fix the bleeding line rather than just throttle it. But I guess that costs money...

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Cop...o/td-p/1755589

Apparently if a line 'appears' unstable ( by dint of someone frequently turning the modem off and on ) the automatic system tries to protect other users by slowing the 'unstable' line down - that is why they ask you not to turn your equipment off, but some do including my B-I-L who is always going around switching stuff off, I tried to explain to him that (1.) the chances of it catching fire are remote and (2.) it only uses milliamps so won't affect his bill. I don't know if AdamEf relatives are inveterate 'switcher offers' but if they are this may be the reason their speed keeps dropping.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-01-19 at 06:12 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 04:14 PM   #6823
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
At in laws in Cornwall for New Year and the "broadband" that they're paying BT for down here is worse than 90s dial-up. I'm not exagerating. Each time I'm here I phone BT and complain that they're ripping our family off and someone at the help centre usually magically makes everything work at a more useable speed for a while. But... it gradually slows again and each time we come back the situation is the same. I'm convinced they do it on purpose as they always seem to be able to solve it... temporarily.
4G or satellite broadband might be an option?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 04:28 PM   #6824
maviczap
Mega Poster

Sky advise keeping the modem switched on all the time for the same reason Sv650rules says
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 04:35 PM   #6825
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
...protect other users...
Sounds like BS to me. The line isn't your responsibility. The outputs are buffered and should have no impact on any other user whatsoever.

I get that for a short period a stable slow speed is better than an unstable fast speed, but for the business it means they don't have to fix anything until it completely breaks, and they don't have to live up to any speeds they promise, and basically you have the broadband system you've got today. Which I hate. Fixed rates but variable service. Imagine the same principle applied to electricity, gas or water.
Old 02-01-19, 06:24 PM   #6826
admin
John T
Mega Poster

No one had mentioned contention ratios yet!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-19, 07:17 PM   #6827
Heorot

What irony, I was reading this thread when my BT line dropped completely and was down for 10 minutes. This is not unusual, happening at least twice a week. Also BT throttles me all the time.. I am now out of contract with BT and will be switching to Sky, who I was with before BT. I only changed last time because of the cost.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 08:13 PM   #6828
Bibio
Mega Poster

all telephone line internet connections are unreliable no matter who you are with.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 10:59 PM   #6829
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Internet is always left on here. Father in law doesn't use it. Mother in law uses it for a basic things like email, bank and a bit of shopping. Nothing that actually requires much speed... but they are paying for it as if it's high speed broadband, which annoys me as they are being ripped off. And each time I sort it by complaining to BT when I'm here it works for a few days and grinds to a halt again by the time we leave a few days later. The In laws won't phone and complain and are not really aware of any of the technology behind it.

I actually managed to get a speed test to show a download speed of nearly 1mb per second today. Upload was flatlining though. Often it all times out as it takes too long to respond.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 09:52 AM   #6830
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

My BT hub (always switched on) drops out for five minutes every day between 17:45 and 18:15. Very, very annoying when you're working from home and in the middle of a Skype conference call. The fibre box is about 70 yards or so away at the end of the street so we're not too badly off for speed most of the time but I do wish it would not drop every day!