SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-03-08, 05:05 PM   #1
TheShadow

Default New SV650S Owner , Brakes & Oil Leak

Further to my last post
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=105666

I did the deal on the SV650S for the sum of ?1350 i pick the bike up tomorrow.

The bike has a couple of issues

1.) An oil leak which i believe is due to the drain plug leaking the oil may becoming from some ware else where i am not sure. A new washer may solve this?

Can anyone advise where i can get a washer from online as i have a very busy week next week and doubt ill have time to make it to a dealer.

I am currently placing my order at bikebitzuk for oil & filter combo & a Stormax cover. Do hiflo filters come with the washer i know the OE ones normaly do?

2.) the front brakes where very poor i feel the discs may be warped or at best the callipers may just require taking of and a good clean through. I had no confidence braking in the wet. This may be due to my previous bike having outstanding brembo front brakes whatver the reason something has to be done about them.

Last edited by TheShadow; 02-03-08 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 08:05 PM   #2
SAMMY650

Default Re: New SV650S Owner , Brakes & Oil Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Further to my last post
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=105666

I did the deal on the SV650S for the sum of ?1350 i pick the bike up tomorrow.

The bike has a couple of issues

1.) An oil leak which i believe is due to the drain plug leaking the oil may becoming from some ware else where i am not sure. A new washer may solve this?

Can anyone advise where i can get a washer from online as i have a very busy week next week and doubt ill have time to make it to a dealer.

I am currently placing my order at bikebitzuk for oil & filter combo & a Stormax cover. Do hiflo filters come with the washer i know the OE ones normaly do?

2.) the front brakes where very poor i feel the discs may be warped or at best the callipers may just require taking of and a good clean through. I had no confidence braking in the wet. This may be due to my previous bike having outstanding brembo front brakes whatver the reason something has to be done about them.
Try www.demonbikes.com
Old 02-03-08, 08:13 PM   #3
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: New SV650S Owner , Brakes & Oil Leak

Quote:
Just give the underside of the bike a good wipe over with cloth and let it leak. You should be able to confirm where its coming from. If it is the copper washer on the sump plug you may get away with just nipping it up slightly, dont over tighten though, just a little nip.

Quote:
The brakes on these bikes are perfectly fine so I doubt that its a direct drop from Brembo. If the discs were warped you would normally fell a definate judder or vibration when on the brakes, particularly if you are not hard on the brakes. If they are just weak it could be that they need a service, the weak braking might be down to air in the system and needs bleeding or dirty or worn brake pads/discs. Have a good look at them and let us know what you find.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 08:44 PM   #4
TheShadow

Default Re: New SV650S Owner , some issues

The brake discs condition wise looked ok , no cracks or anything where they are drilled.

Pads have plenty of life left.

I think taking the callipers of and giving them a clean & bleeding the system will be my first port of call. I will report back when done!.
Old 03-03-08, 12:12 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Is it spongy? Or just lack of bite or what?
Old 03-03-08, 05:21 AM   #6
mister c
Mega Poster

If the bike has been used through the winter then i would check to see if the calipers are siezed. I was cleaning mine about once a week because of road crud.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 09:54 AM   #7
TheShadow

Lack of bite when pulling on the brake lever is the main sympton.