SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-09, 02:56 PM   #1
pms jones

Default Advice needed on fitting front springs

Well to get started. With all the help on this forum i have got my self a gsxr rear shock and some hagon front springs with 15w oil for my pointy. Now comes the help needed bit. In the Haynes book it says take the legs off and hold upright.But in the instructions with the forks it just leaves the forks in the bike and drain through the bottom of the leg.Plus the air gap on the box is for 10w oil but i believe it will be just the same with the 15w oil.
Old 22-09-09, 03:36 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice needed on fitting front springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms jones View Post
Well to get started. With all the help on this forum i have got my self a gsxr rear shock and some hagon front springs with 15w oil for my pointy. Now comes the help needed bit. In the Haynes book it says take the legs off and hold upright.But in the instructions with the forks it just leaves the forks in the bike and drain through the bottom of the leg.Plus the air gap on the box is for 10w oil but i believe it will be just the same with the 15w oil.
Right first things first, what air gap do the instructions suggest? The instructions with my hagons were incorrect I had to contact them for the correct ones.

Secondly the sv doesn't have a drain thing at the bottom of the forks so removing them and draining is probably the thing to do. just means removing the wheel, calipers bolts etc etc (remember to loosen the caps first!)
Or you could do a slightly bodged job (IMO it's not too bad) and leave everything in situ, open the caps remove the spacers preload adjusters and springs. Get a syringe and hose and drain the oil, fully compress the forks and fill up the forks with oil leaving the correct air gap then put it all back together.*

*note : I may have missed something, I'm being brief.
Old 22-09-09, 03:39 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

P.S don't ever listen to haynes if you think what you are doing is correct but think 'I know I'll just double check with haynes' and haynes suggests a longwinded difficult illogical approach, you'll end up with a broken cbr and an angry girlfriend.
Old 22-09-09, 03:52 PM   #4
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Don't forget to loosen the fork top bolts before you undo the pinch bolts to take the fork leg out.

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-09, 03:57 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ View Post
Don't forget to loosen the fork top bolts before you undo the pinch bolts to take the fork leg out.
good point stretchie
Old 22-09-09, 04:02 PM   #6
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
P.S don't ever listen to haynes if you think what you are doing is correct but think 'I know I'll just double check with haynes' and haynes suggests a longwinded difficult illogical approach, you'll end up with a broken cbr and an angry girlfriend.
There is a good reason it is called the HBOL[1]

Druid

[1] Haynes Book Of Lies
Old 22-09-09, 05:27 PM   #7
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
good point stretchie
Experience mate

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-09, 05:34 PM   #8
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

The instructions supplied with my Hagon progressive springs were wrong. IIRC we filled them as per the manual.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-09, 07:37 PM   #9
pms jones

Quote:
Right first things first, what air gap do the instructions suggest? The instructions with my hagons were incorrect I had to contact them for the correct ones.

Secondly the sv doesn't have a drain thing at the bottom of the forks so removing them and draining is probably the thing to do. just means removing the wheel, calipers bolts etc etc (remember to loosen the caps first!)
Or you could do a slightly bodged job (IMO it's not too bad) and leave everything in situ, open the caps remove the spacers preload adjusters and springs. Get a syringe and hose and drain the oil, fully compress the forks and fill up the forks with oil leaving the correct air gap then put it all back together.*

*note : I may have missed something, I'm being brief.
The air gap on the box is 95mm
Old 22-09-09, 07:39 PM   #10
Dave20046
Mega Poster

cheers...
If I recall correctly that about right, I did a thread on it somewhere do a search