SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-02-12, 06:13 PM   #1
kiggles

Default overtaken by someone on the same bike

i hate being over taken by someone on same bike, but at the same time love it.

i'm not the person to push the bike on public roads but, when i was over taken on a corner on the same lanewith someone on the same bike as me, i had to admire how he looked doing it, as i am riding the same bike its also how cool i would look.

does any have this feeling as well apart from the damaged ego that usually comes with it, which is reassured by keeping to the speed limit.
Old 26-02-12, 06:18 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: overtaken by someone on the same bike

Wouldnt bother me tbh, I'd be more peeved that they were overtaking me on a corner.
Old 26-02-12, 06:24 PM   #3
kiggles

its was in the spirit of biking so it didn't really matter. maybe different matter during the week on the way to work
Old 26-02-12, 06:27 PM   #4
Specialone

What would've happened if you ran wide?
Old 26-02-12, 06:30 PM   #5
kiggles

yeah good point i couldn't actually see him and it was pretty close but i was aware of his presents for a long time. he did catch me by surprise, but its nothing compared to what i have seen /experienced doing a bike run, eg may day run/ south end shake down etc.
Old 26-02-12, 06:34 PM   #6
Specialone

I just think riding like that is reckless tbh, fair enough if you're out with mates and you know each others abilities then it's a bit more predictable.

I wouldn't be pleased, let's say that.
Old 26-02-12, 06:37 PM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

TBH its easier to overtake someone on a corner than on a straight.
They are not going as quick as they would normally as they are aware of you(hopefully).
And as long a your bikes faster you can get out of the corner and off down the straights to the next one that bit earlier.
Old 26-02-12, 06:56 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I just think riding like that is reckless tbh, fair enough if you're out with mates and you know each others abilities then it's a bit more predictable.

I wouldn't be pleased, let's say that.
If you're following someone it's pretty obvious if they're likely to run wide.

If you need to get past then just make sure you do it where you can either abort/run wider yourself/gas it up the inside of them when they run wide.

Or make the pass on brakes so you're past before they have chance to run wide.
Old 26-02-12, 07:19 PM   #9
Specialone

If someone's following me and approaching, I'd let them past by moving left, so I personally don't get why a corner overtake is necessary, if you go up the trumpet of most bikers they will let you past most of the time if they aren't going the same pace.

It's not something I'd do anyway.

On a left hand bend if the rider in front has gone to the outside of his lane for visibility and his line, there wouldn't be room on that side for an overtake anyway.

Last edited by Specialone; 26-02-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 26-02-12, 07:36 PM   #10
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Never happened...

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote