SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-16, 10:12 AM   #1
twinblades

Default 2002 sv650s starting issues

In the last few weeks my bikes started to have issues with starting, could initally hear it trying to tick over but then after a few secs nothing.
As the lights dimmed i initially thought it was the battery but checking the voltage and hooking it up to a battery tender showed it not to be the case. it always started up after a while with me having to put it in gear and roll it a little bit twice before it would.

Anyway yesterday when trying to start it up it was just struggling to fire up so opened the throttle a little bit hoping that would help, it did start up after about 20 secs but upon inspection a decent amount of fuel had come out of the exhaust and was dripping a little bit from where the pipes connect to exhaust. -this has only happened once and never has before.

As a sidenote this Only happens when the bike is cold in a morning after getting it out of the garage, after being started initially it starts first time every time for the entire day

anyone got any idea whats going on with it?
Old 01-03-16, 10:44 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2002 sv650s starting issues

Are all the battery leads tight at the terminals, and the connections clean? Also try some switch/contact cleaner on the starter button.

Sounds like a poor connection somewhere. The fuel from the exhaust is because it's not firing up quickly enough, so it's flooding a bit with the choke on.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 10:59 AM   #3
twinblades

Default Re: 2002 sv650s starting issues

thanks for the reply, i'll get a bit of contact cleaner later today on the starter switch and killswitch and try that.
the connections to the battery are fine.