SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-12-17, 10:04 PM   #1
Markus01

Default k9 speedo/odometer problem

You guys have probably heard this one more times than you care to remember but about 8 months ago.... lol procrastination ftw. my speedo started acting funny, number jumping around, 189mph sat at a traffic light, that kinda thing, then 0 mph not reading anything for a while.
Id id the usual, google it, came to the conclusion it was the speedo sensor rotor, you know, the part made of cheese? well i purchased one straight away before even checking if it was that.... long story short i have 2 now in perfect condition.
I have traced the sensor cable to where it plugs in under the tank and sprayed electrical cleaner, still nothing. so my next solution to this was to get a phone case that worked with a gopro mount and download a speedo app, problem solved, until now, did some deep cleaning on the bike, disturbed some deep dark places and then went for a ride, the speedo started working again, so naturally i tested it to see if it still had all the numbers on there then it started doing its crazy jump up and down 189 to 26 back to 123 down to 14 when i was sat at a stead 30 on my app.
I wasnt too bothered untill i realised that when its saying 189mph that the odometer thinks im going that fast aswell so its clocking up the miles again, not a major issue, ive only added about 23 miles since my last mot... which is bull s***.

Anywho what im thinking is that the wires inside the cable from the speedo are snapped or something and thats making the speedo jump up and down, im wondering if anyone has ever stripped back the cable to bare wires and soldered them up, or chopped the cable off the sensor and plug completely and re-wired them with new wire?

sorry for the long winded thread but thanks for anyone willing to read this far :P and thanks for any help.
Old 12-12-17, 01:46 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: k9 speedo/odometer problem

just get another one off ebay. all the sensors are the same its just the internal rotor that are different.

early SV's inc the curvy have 4 pulses and the later SV's have 8 pulses. if your bike has a white rev counter face then you need the 8 pulse rotor.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 02:19 PM   #3
Tomcatracing

So I found this thread after a little search, relating to a problem I currently have. The rotor (the one that's made of cheese) has broken up in my 2002 curvy bike so I need to replace it. My friendly Suzuki dealer (Jordans) inform me that Suzuki no longer do the rotor on its own but only the entire assembly at £154. Clearly this is not going to happen.

Search of online fiches gives the Suzuki P/N for the 02 bike but search of eBay does not reveal any listed. Can anybody suggest sources or alternative P/N that would work?

Note although my bike is the curvy it does have a white face rev counter, if that's relevant?

TIA
Old 10-06-18, 02:41 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatracing View Post
So I found this thread after a little search, relating to a problem I currently have. The rotor (the one that's made of cheese) has broken up in my 2002 curvy bike so I need to replace it. My friendly Suzuki dealer (Jordans) inform me that Suzuki no longer do the rotor on its own but only the entire assembly at £154. Clearly this is not going to happen.

Search of online fiches gives the Suzuki P/N for the 02 bike but search of eBay does not reveal any listed. Can anybody suggest sources or alternative P/N that would work?

Note although my bike is the curvy it does have a white face rev counter, if that's relevant?

TIA

Is this the right/wrong one?

https://www.discountbikespares.co.uk...650-VL800.html

Or am I off-the-mark on the part?
Old 10-06-18, 11:15 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

all curvy are the same internal rotor. 34983-21E00 in stock at https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/

Last edited by Bibio; 10-06-18 at 11:19 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote