SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 01-02-07, 10:23 PM   #1
philh

Default Just got some Michelin Pilot Road 2's

\/ "Everybody's wearin' those kinky boots, kinky boots... kinky boots!" \/

Well, my SV is now at least. I nearly, soooo nearly went for the Met' Z6's, but the guys at Protyre (some bikers) were raving on about these new Michelins;

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/front/a...odeRubrique=66

"Fine" I was saying, "I know that Pilots will grip well, but they'll be down under 1mm in 2000 miles".

"Ah, not so" reply the tyre jockeys. "These use the Michelin 2CT dual compound technology. Hard in the middle, soft and gummy on the shoulders."

I checked out a few reviews and write ups. Sure enough, these new Pilot 2's report to hold up just as well if not better under milage than the Z6's, Stradas and any Bridgestone.
The whole concept seems logical too. The Z4's I just ditched still had a good 1000 miles of wear on the shoulders, but my daily motorway commute (short as it is at about 10 miles ish) had squared off the rear significantly.

So I went for the Michelins. Protyre wanted £196 for the Z6's fitted on the bike. The Pilot Road 2's set me back £203. The service at Protyre was first class. No greasy crud on the rims, calipers back properly, chain tensioned, cup of coffee.

I've done 1.3 miles on the new rubber so far. I'll keep you posted. First impressions are that they feel flippin' lush! But I guess anything would be better than my square and bald Z4's.
Old 02-02-07, 04:25 PM   #2
furrybean

Look good matye, let us know how you get on with them!
Old 03-02-07, 08:15 PM   #3
philh

O... M... G!

I'll take first prize in the 'state the bleedin' obvious' contest now, but what a difference some decent rubber makes!!!

My only previous experience when it comes to switching about with tyres is on 125's, but that having been said, I cannot believe how different my SV handles now.

Went out for a 'spirited' ride to Sidmouth today. (A last minute realisation that the sun was out, the clouds were in and I had a rare free afternoon!) Took a gander at the stricken Napoli. You can just see it over my left shoulder...

(Furrybeans ex-leathers still making me look all hard and manly... )

When the doddering old codgers in their Nissans got out of the way I had the chance for some fun. And what fun! The bike falls into bends so sweetly now and lean is suddenly, well, simple! No drama. Everything feels absolutely stable, stuck fast and under control even when I start playing silly buggers in the twisty bits. My mate on his FZR1000 was knackered trying to keep up. Which he couldn't. Well, OK. He got me on the straight bits!

Such a major difference over the old Z4's. I'm very, very happy with these tyres!
Old 03-02-07, 08:25 PM   #4
Stig

£195 for a pair of Z6's

I get both ride in ride out for £165.
Old 03-02-07, 09:30 PM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
£195 for a pair of Z6's

Where?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 09:36 PM   #6
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
£195 for a pair of Z6's

Where?
Here
Old 04-02-07, 09:25 AM   #7
Red ones
Mega Poster

I just bought some new tyres, but I am due in Reading this week - could have saved some money!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-07, 12:57 AM   #8
ejohnh

Default Re: Just got some Michelin Pilot Road 2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post

!
LOL! The new breakfast cereal for men?
Old 28-02-07, 10:23 AM   #9
Baph

just out of interest philh, did you get a 160/60 rear pilot road 2CT fitted? Their website doesn't list is as a supplied size, but I'm interested in trying these out for milage.
Old 28-02-07, 12:21 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
just out of interest philh, did you get a 160/60 rear pilot road 2CT fitted? Their website doesn't list is as a supplied size, but I'm interested in trying these out for milage.
I've got these on my GSXR, getting around 3 to 3.5K out of a rear at the moment. I'd think you'd get more out of the SV. They've gone square now but took a lot of motorway bashing before they did so.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote