SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-03-06, 09:27 AM   #1
rob13

Default Other vehicles move over for me....

Do they do it for everyone? It seems that on a bike, when you come up behind someone, if they see you/hear you then they'll push their vehicles over into the dirt patch in the gutter, covering you in dust and 9 times out of 10 creating a gap somewhere on a blind bend. In summer, i find myself holding my hand up to tell them to move back over than to go for an overtake where theyve selected me to. Its not as if im up their a**e either, no closer than i would be in the car.
Old 31-03-06, 09:30 AM   #2
Stormspiel

Happens to me all the time although it's mainly just as we're pulling off a roundabout they'll get as far over to the left as possible and let me through. Normally go for it if it's clear etc. but if i'm just pldding ever so slightly faster than they were i'll sit back and wave em back out.
Old 31-03-06, 09:45 AM   #3
Ceri JC

Yes, a fair few drivers do. Apart from the people who are intentionally blocking you, or just so braindead as to genuinely not notice you, even if you kicked their wing mirror off, even those who don't move over initially, tend to when you move from right to left then back to the right, to the overtake position in the lane. I think it works like the "motion camoflage" trick of moving about within the lane to stop cars pulling out in front of you: IE makes you more conspicuous - you don't normally see headlights going back and forth in the mirror, so it draws their attention to it.
Old 31-03-06, 10:47 AM   #4
tricky

I move over for bikes when I'm in the car, but usually only if I'm crawling in traffic.
I've never seen it as a problem and I'm grateful when car drivers do it for me when I'm on my bike.
Old 31-03-06, 12:04 PM   #5
goonrider

Default Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
I move over for bikes when I'm in the car, but usually only if I'm crawling in traffic.
I've never seen it as a problem and I'm grateful when car drivers do it for me when I'm on my bike.
Me too, someone should benefit by getting through the traffic. I always say cheers to drivers that do this too.

But get this...some old bugger in his car deliberately swerved out of his lane (coming opposite direction) to try and bump me on the bike while I was filtering

I was so surprised I didn't give chase, the old dude must have hated bikers (60+ I reckon), definately on purpose, saw his eyes!.
Old 31-03-06, 12:29 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Most of the time, I'd rather know they've seen me and put up with a bit of mud or water being chucked up at me then have that moment of doubt as you try to filter by. If I dont think they've seen me, I'll use Ceri's trick of moving about behind them so I keep moving between the wing mirror and the middle mirror of the car I'm following. Often you can catch the drivers in the mirror(s) and then you can normally work out if they've seen you or not.

If I'm not sure I've been seen I dont overtake or filter.

I always move over when I'm in the car, normally I'll flick my left indicator on as I move over just so the biker behind me knows I've seen him.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-06, 12:30 PM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I dream of this happening. But being a london commuter the cagers can be so arrogant sometimes its unreal.
The ones that do make the effort get a nod or a thumbsup from me every time tho, hope it encourages the others to do the same.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-06, 02:11 PM   #8
kwak zzr

i find filtering on motorways that the cages move closer together to shut the gap and they flick fag ends at you.
Old 31-03-06, 09:33 PM   #9
goonrider

Default Lights on

I've found that with my light on (05 sv/perminantly on!) people 'gap' more for me than bikes that don't.

The best thing is to wear a Yellow high viz jacket & lights on, anyone looking in a mirror thinks your a rozzer on a shout!. I only use my H.Viz jacket at night/rain but it definately does work in your favour.
Old 31-03-06, 09:43 PM   #10
SVTONYB

I always move over to let bikes pass and always have done. When other drivers move over for me I pass when I decide and I give them a wave to aknowledge what they did.....Nice to be Nice