SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-09-18, 04:08 PM   #1
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Vacuum oil extractor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000WZF7...740111_TE_item

Just bought one of these for our cars and lawnmower ( have to turn mower upside down to get old oil out, can get messy). Question is has anyone used similar for getting fork oil out, and maybe even engine oil ( ducks )

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-18, 04:51 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vacuum oil extractor

with fork oil you need to set a level and not the amount of oil so unless you know the exact amount that each fork leg takes then no you cant just suck it out, also you will never get all the oil out.

as for engine oil then whats the hassle in taking a sump plug off...

i can understand that gadget being used for lawnmowers as its indeed a PITA to change oil but for something with a sump plug.. ermm no.

could be useful for bleeding brakes...

its the same as people using a torque wrench for everything.. its not needed.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-18, 08:10 AM   #3
aesmith

I've used one for years, original bought specially for the boat where access to the sump is impractical. Now also used for quite a few other things.

I can get most of the fork oil out with the forks still fitted. Support front of bike, remove top caps, remove springs, lower bike so forks are fully compressed. I find it a lot easier with a length of rigid pipe on the end of the suction hose, so you can be sure you're poking it down as far as it can go. I say "most" because it won't get at any sludge lurking in the bottom.

Can be used to set the fork oil level as well by sucking out excess if you mark the correct level on the tube.

I didn't find it helpful with brakes, too much leakage around the threads of the bleed screw.

You can't use it for engine oil in the SV because you the clutch or something is in the way so the tube can't even get below oil level let alone right to the bottom of the sump.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-18, 09:04 AM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I have used mityvac to bleed car and bike brakes, on one of the cars I used some small O rings compressed between hexagon and brake cylinder to stop air being sucked in around thread, figured out they would seal thread against crud from outside as well, but when I looked a year later when replacing pads a couple of the O rings had gone, don't know if brake fluid attacked them. Teflon tape around the thread near hexagon works well, I keep it away from sealing end of nipple as I know only too well that Teflon tape is great at extruding along threads as you tighten them.

On our cars I will change oil twice for every filter change. So oil twice a year, filter once.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote