SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-07-09, 05:21 PM   #1
Rob969

Default Sv650 is a great novice track bike

Just got back from my first track day on my curvy and had a great time, i was really nervous when i got there seeing as though my sv was one of the smallest bikes there but after a couple of sessions found that i was going past CBR's ZXR's and GSXR's regulary even went past a Ducati 1098 and more than one occasion, couldn't believe how early i could get on the power compared to the other bikes and went past more than a few on the brakes only problem it has is the top end but even that was to much of a problem easily sloved with some bravery on the brakes. even had someone come upto me refusing to believe that i've only been riding for 2 month, if theres anyone out there wanting to do a track day but think that their SV isn't upto it should give it a go you'd be suprised with what it can hold its own against
Old 26-07-09, 05:25 PM   #2
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv650 is a great novice track bike

The SV is more than capable, even on fast tracks.

Glad you had a good day.

I bet you learnt loads from today? How was your session with the instructor?
Old 26-07-09, 06:01 PM   #3
Rob969

Had a great day will definatley be doing it again, yeah even snett which is a fast track was good i bet the SV would be great on a twisty track. The instructor gave me the confidence to push the bike more, i thought i was braking fairly late (it was later than a lot of other people) but after going out with the instructor he said i could be braking even later and was showing me how to go into the corner a bit deeper than normal so i could use the SV's torque to get the run on the bike in front
Old 26-07-09, 06:33 PM   #4
flymo
Mega Poster

sounds like you had fun, in the same hands though I'm afraid an SV will not be doing over cbrs, 1098s etc. You will have been passing those other guys because you were a faster rider not because of the SVs performance.

Go take a look at a club race meet were you have a minitwins class, you'll see SVs put through their paces.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-09, 06:46 PM   #5
Rob969

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
sounds like you had fun, in the same hands though I'm afraid an SV will not be doing over cbrs, 1098s etc. You will have been passing those other guys because you were a faster rider not because of the SVs performance.

Go take a look at a club race meet were you have a minitwins class, you'll see SVs put through their paces.
yeah i know that but for a novice with only 2 months riding experience to be quicker than guys on more powerful bikes and 10 years+ riding experience just shows how usable and easy the SV is to ride quick. Obviously in the right hands any gsxr or the like would be quicker but what i'm trying to say is how great the SV is for a novice to ride quickly. The fact that i had a lad that i spoke to earlier on in the day who'd been riding for 8 years and who'd done a trackday previous come up to me in the afternoon refusing to believe i'd only been riding for 2 months (until i showed him my drivers license) saying that he was struggling to keep up on his CBRR 600 round the twisty stuff speaks for itself.
Old 26-07-09, 06:49 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Well I'd say you have some good natrual ability, and probably really really suit the SV. Other riders should at least be able to keep up with you...heaven knows I try to be as fast as other people but it never works!

Keep it up, but also remember to try and understand why your going fast - this way, you can both stay safe (and not crash) and figure out how to go faster

Old 26-07-09, 06:54 PM   #7
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob969 View Post
yeah i know that but for a novice with only 2 months riding experience to be quicker than guys on more powerful bikes and 10 years+ riding experience just shows how usable and easy the SV is to ride quick. Obviously in the right hands any gsxr or the like would be quicker but what i'm trying to say is how great the SV is for a novice to ride quickly. The fact that i had a lad that i spoke to earlier on in the day who'd been riding for 8 years and who'd done a trackday previous come up to me in the afternoon refusing to believe i'd only been riding for 2 months (until i showed him my drivers license) saying that he was struggling to keep up on his CBRR 600 round the twisty stuff speaks for itself.
I think you may be being a little modest. If you can ride fast then you can ride fast, you would probably lap as fast if not faster on a more capable bike.

You'll come across plenty of numpties with fast bikes who cant ride them, usually on a track day. You'll find that as your experience grows you'll begin to outgrow the SVs capabilities, thats really were the more capable bikes come in. Many of the latest sportsbikes are pussy cats to ride these days though, you'll be surprised.

Good effort.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-09, 07:01 PM   #8
Rob969

yeah like one numpty on a 1098 who i could always go by at the end of the back straight on the brakes, how wrong is that!
Old 26-07-09, 07:03 PM   #9
MrMoonface

I did my first track day yesterday at anglesey. What a track! Really enjoyed myself and melted some tyres! The bike was brilliant espaecially once I got the suspension set up right. I learnt loads I (so i thought) rode really well. Didn't get much overtaking done as everyone else seemed to be on R1's etc and as there are 3 long straights I didn't have a chance! I was much quicker in the corners though!
Old 26-07-09, 07:05 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob969 View Post
yeah like one numpty on a 1098 who i could always go by at the end of the back straight on the brakes, how wrong is that!
very wrong, those bikes have great brakes and a great front end! infact, the whole bike is designed to win superstock races and forms the basis of a world chamionship winning machine! SO i suspect the guy on the bike was a bit duff you shoulda asked to swap!