SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 19-10-04, 09:03 PM   #1
Gforceuk

Default Metz 4's.

I'm completely new to biking and got an sv with 3000 miles on it , with the original tyres hardly worn at all. . (mez 4's.)

I've done a few thousand on them and to be honest i'm not sure if its just how it is with biking or the tyres.

They dont inspire confidence at all in the wet . On white lines and ESPECIALLY the black tar lines i can feel the bike sliding all over .. this is when i'm just on them for a split second as i know to avoid such things.

is this the norm or can i get a better tyre that gives great wet grip as well as dry ?

I used to have an mgf which was terrible for sliding about like that but suspension and tyre change fixed that no problem.
Old 19-10-04, 09:48 PM   #2
jonboy

All tyres will slide on wet overbanding and white lines. However the Metz4s aren't the greatest tyre in the world and don't seem to suit the SV at all. There are many alternatives just have a look at the posts in this section.

Most people go for Bridgestone 020s. Alternatively the new Metz Z-6 is a pretty good tyre by all accounts and there's the new Contintental RoadAttacks too. Both are sports-touring tyres which should offer slightly longer life than an out and out sports tyre, reach optimal operating temperature for more of the time and be more than most riders need for the road.

It's a complex and highly biased subject so just keep reading till your head spins then make your choice.

Old 19-10-04, 11:17 PM   #3
Daz

From what I’ve been reading, most people think the original Metzeler’s were really poor.
Someone on here said, zoo’s refused to use them, because of the danger to the monkeys of slipping off

Opinion is split on the Dunlop D220 - standard on the new model bikes. Some seem to really like the Avon Azaro 45/46, but some really hate them maybe depends on your riding style. Bridgestone BT020, Continental Road Attack (silly name ) and Metzeler Roadtec Z6 all seem to be liked by SV riders I think that the Road Attack and the Roadtec Z6 are new this year. Bridgestone have introduced an improved rear tyre this year BT020NT (new technology.) Not much discussion on the Michelin’s and the Pirelli’s.

My research agrees with jonboy there is little advantage in going for a sportier tyre. Apparently, sport tyres need to be run hard and fast to keep them warm and sticky on the road

Good luck,

Daz