SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

East Anglian Revolution If you're based in East Anglia, then this could be for you.

Old 12-03-08, 08:13 PM   #1
Seggons

Default Decent stretches of road within a 50 mile radius of Bedford?

After a long spout of not going out of the small area I had discovered, I brought myself a TomTom Rider and have been doing 50-80 mile rides each weekend.

There's a great application out called Tyre where you plan your route using google maps, then copy it over onto the TomTom. But here's the problem, anything outside of a 10 mile radius of Bedford and the chances are I've not been there on my bike. So when planing a route on Google maps I go by how twisty a road looks only to find it's nothing more then a farm track when I get there.

So I'm after some suggestions on roads that you've been on and really enjoyed.
Old 12-03-08, 10:31 PM   #2
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: Decent stretches of road within a 50 mile radius of Bedford?

Forget the "planning" bit just go out and find nice roads,even if you do get lost,then you can use your Tom Tom to get you back home using the "Alternative route" mode if it is taking you back the way you have just come
Old 13-03-08, 06:58 AM   #3
Seggons

Thanks for your suggestion but that method just doesn't work for me. No matter how hard I try I always seem to get lost, then a few miles later end up back in familiar territory. The TomTom serves as a aid to stop me from finding places I know.
Old 13-03-08, 11:49 AM   #4
Sean_C

The B645 from St Neots to Kimbolton and beyond is good. The Road of bones crosses that- the B660, which goes from bedford, through kimbolton then up and across to ramsey. A bit closer to my way, the B1046 isn't bad, after comberton then out towards St neots.
Don't know much more out your way- i tend to go to the east of cambridge through the fens following my nose, then half way through my tank turn around and try to get to a petrol station before i run out!

There's not many brilliant roads out here, they're all flat.. I like heading out towards Lissa and Pete's way, they have roads that go up and down as well as round corners! (exciting!)
Old 13-03-08, 01:00 PM   #5
K

Yeah - but some of the really flat ones are great as you can see cars around for miles away - or not as the case may be.

Head out towards Shefford, Flitwick, Woburn... there's a selection of fast A roads and twisty little country ones to make it interesting.
Old 14-03-08, 07:08 AM   #6
Seggons

Thanks alot for those suggestions Sean and K.
Old 23-03-08, 07:43 PM   #7
Seggons

Just in case anyone else is looking for a nice piece of windy road I've been out with my helmet cam. Yestoday I hit the A507 between Baldock and Buntingford. I made a little review at the end of the video.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvRAzC-y_I
Old 25-03-08, 12:20 PM   #8
2mths

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Yeah - but some of the really flat ones are great as you can see cars around for miles away - or not as the
Oh Yes! I can't remember which ride it was or where we were (great shame) but on one of the EAR rides (started at Red-something off the A11) we did some AWESOME flat roads.
Old 25-03-08, 12:23 PM   #9
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mths View Post
Oh Yes! I can't remember which ride it was or where we were (great shame) but on one of the EAR rides (started at Red-something off the A11) we did some AWESOME flat roads.
You mean this route?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=...20a941fd8&z=10

I just picked the twistiest roads and by luck it was a great route - one I will do again in the summer

Hi Andy btw!
Old 30-03-08, 10:20 PM   #10
dtr125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seggons View Post
Just in case anyone else is looking for a nice piece of windy road I've been out with my helmet cam. Yestoday I hit the A507 between Baldock and Buntingford. I made a little review at the end of the video.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvRAzC-y_I
I prefer onboard videos with the sound of the bike, instead of music.
Not bad though.

I've got a Helmet-cam, I wanna do some onboard videos sometime.
It's this one: http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcampro480.htm
I've got this to record onto: http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/mobibox...o-recorder.htm

I bought them about 18 months ago but haven't used them much yet.