SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-12-20, 05:24 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Facebook users...

I'm not a member of Facebook but for those who are:
https://www.businessinsider.com/face...0-12?r=US&IR=T
(your details are being moved to the US from EU servers)

Does it matter to you?

I read sometime ago that even if you don't use F/b they have already identified you by your friends that do use it and created a shadow profile about you.
Old 16-12-20, 06:41 PM   #2
gadget

Default Re: Facebook users...

Imo ... social media platforms are 10% fun/useful and 90% aggravation, I had a dabble with Facebook a while back and soon sacked it , just couldn't stand having to trawl through acres of pointless drivel that users post.
I am by my own admission a total tech dinosaur and Facebook is far too complicated to navigate successfully. I still haven't figured out how to post pics on here! Haaaa. Thats why my curvy is a keeper ... not technical in any way, shape or form.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-20, 07:01 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I use Facebook to look on some historical and special interest sites, never use it for chit-chat drivel that most users post ( mostly self promotion ). Never give Facebook any more than basic info, just fictitious name, wrong date of birth...

They obviously access your email contacts etc because they match them up with their database and suggest them as friends, they have also accessed other peoples contacts as well and they cross match and also suggest them as friend. Farcebook is the nosiest most prying program ever invented ( except maybe windows10 ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-20, 07:58 PM   #4
yokohama

I'm not on FB and it's the reason I don't use Whatsapp, which as soon as it's installed sends as much of your personal info it can mine to FB.
Though that being said I've a Huawei phone so the Chinese Government probably read my posts before forum members do.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-20, 08:07 PM   #5
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

A guy I work with is ex Police. He used to work in surveillance. They used to spend weeks and thousands of £ watching people to get certain info in the past. He said it's amazing what they can get about you now within a couple of hours, a couple of information requests from store loyalty cards etc and for free. All legally too.

Everything is linked. Your debit card, cash machine usage, store cards, anpr, social media, phone gps and all that info about your known contacts too and how it relates to you.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-20, 09:27 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

hahahahhaaaaaaa. i have know all of this for yeeeeaaaarrrrssssssss.

even people with VPN get watched and dont even try and say 'but it encrypted'... there are trigger words and if used too often your door WILL get kicked in.

if you have nothing to hide your safe but remember that your data is YOURS and this is the main reason why data gets farmed out to the USA.

its all to do with insurance and marketing... just like DNA. wrong genes and your wont get life policy. trust me its coming to an insurer near you very soon.

no i dont believe that the world is flat or in skin suits for reptile people.

if you want my data you will pay for it otherwise fek aff. but the GP is soooo furkin stupid they let anyone have it willy nilly.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-20, 08:22 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The new EU data rules probably mean that data will end up in some third world country ( or even USA ) - is that better - the EU even think they can control the internet, fools.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 17-12-20, 08:30 AM   #8
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
the EU even think they can control the internet, fools.
I think the intent is to protect their citizens from exploitation by tech giants. It may not work but at least they're trying.
Old 17-12-20, 09:14 AM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I think the intent is to protect their citizens from exploitation by tech giants. It may not work but at least they're trying.

If the EU do it it is just protectionism, but of trade rather than their citizens - pretty much every thing they do is anti-competition. This is the main reason the EU is becoming a backwater. There is a reason Google set up their massive new headquarters in London - and that was after the 'leave' vote.

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-12-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 17-12-20, 09:58 AM   #10
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
There is a reason Google set up their massive new headquarters in London - and that was after the 'leave' vote.
I'm not sure this helps your argument. Multinationals, like Google, hate being regulated because it eats into their profits. They want to be free to avoid pollution controls, government oversight, workers rights - they saw an opportunity in the UK to avoid this when the UK leaves the EU. Does that make the UK better than the EU? Not in my opinion.

The "ethos" of the EU is to assume something is potentially bad until proved safe (and that works well with products like insecticides, chemicals etc). The US model, which the Conservatives here prefer, is to allow the manufacturer to say it's safe and then wait for the law suits and deaths to show that it isn't.

In an extreme example, Trump has been rolling back all Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rules - allowing coal slurry to be dumped into rivers, stops investigation and leaks of methane at well heads etc (it's a big list) - all because it reduces profits. The EU stops companies doing this and we will lose that protection. I wasn't a big fan of the EU but I liked their approach to keeping us safe.