SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-12-19, 06:34 PM   #7761
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Top right cylinder in this clip I recorded the other day. Watch for the pops and flames... a sign it's mis-firing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgzhJuPZ_Is
Try swapping a Spark-plug cap and see if the fault follows?

With a Digi test meter set to 20k ohms they read 5k ohms brand new.Anything over around 8K ohms and I replace them.Also sometimes a little bit of the HT might need clipping off to get good wire for the Plug to go into.
Old 01-12-19, 06:42 PM   #7762
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Try swapping a Spark-plug cap and see if the fault follows?

With a Digi test meter set to 20k ohms they read 5k ohms brand new.Anything over around 8K ohms and I replace them.Also sometimes a little bit of the HT might need clipping off to get good wire for the Plug to go into.
The VFR has coil sticks like a car. I wondered if this one was faulty which is why i suggested Adam swap them over. Same reason as you, a process of elimination.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-19, 06:49 PM   #7763
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The VFR has coil sticks like a car. I wondered if this one was faulty which is why i suggested Adam swap them over. Same reason as you, a process of elimination.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I didn't know the VFRs had those.I've seen similar on some Custom bikes

Worth testing them all with a meter and trying to find a constant value to see if one is down methinks.
Old 01-12-19, 07:54 PM   #7764
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Have now pulled all plugs and they're all sooty already. Test ride was worse than ever. Very lumpy. Wouldn't idle. Needed to be in lower gears than normal. 30mph in 3rd would stall it. Had to keep revs up and in 2nd or 1st at 30mph. Throwing me all over the place. I've tested all spark plugs and they're all reading fine. I did pick up a spare from Halfords when out on the test ride.

Strange it ran so smoothly in the drive after I pulled and cleaned the first plug. As soon as I pulled away though it went very jerky. Unrideable it's so bad.

It's dark and cold out now so calling it a day. I might try and look at starter valves syncing again tomorrow with the plugs all clean to see if having done it before the plugs were cleaned caused me to set them wrong with something mis-firing at the time I did it.

Also got through 1/3rd of a tank of fuel today in 24 miles (usually 50 to 60). Fuelly measured fill up at the start of the day gave me 31mpg for the previous tank. Today will be lower than that! Something is definitely wrong.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 09:05 AM   #7765
daktulos

Velcro on bike jacket collars.

My jacket has slightly less aggressive velcro on the collar cuff, probably to stop it from shredding chin-straps. Unfortunately, it still does ... the only thing it won't stick to reliably is the other half of the collar. -2 degrees this morning, and I couldn't get it to stay closed.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 11:33 AM   #7766
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

VFR not starting at all today. Have pulled and cleaned all plugs / checked plugs and coil sticks... but apparently they may still be going even if they show ok off the bike. The bad fuel economy and idling surges are a sign of a stick failing apparently. That would cause fuelling issues which would foul all plugs. If it was something I'd distrubed like a wire then it would likely be more definite and not surging I'm guessing. I was going to get one stick to swap around just to rule it out, but Fowler's price is £114+vat per stick!! Damn. Looking around breakers...
Old 02-12-19, 11:37 AM   #7767
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
VFR not starting at all today. Have pulled and cleaned all plugs / checked plugs and coil sticks... but apparently they may still be going even if they show ok off the bike. The bad fuel economy and idling surges are a sign of a stick failing apparently. That would cause fuelling issues which would foul all plugs. If it was something I'd distrubed like a wire then it would likely be more definite and not surging I'm guessing. I was going to get one stick to swap around just to rule it out, but Fowler's price is £114+vat per stick!! Damn. Looking around breakers...
It may not be your problem but some years ago 1 bad plug cap on my old Honda V-Twin which limited the power on the bike and I could not even get above 50 mph!!

My best M8 got a Brand new Triumph,"Street Cup" a few years ago and after a couple of months the same thing happened.As it was under warranty no problem but it took the Diagnostic team ages to find the fault and this kind of fault is so sneaky and not common so they weren't looking for it

BTW on,"Fake Britain" or something like that there were some Fake NGK Platignum/Iridium Spark plugs even sold by reputable traders!!!

PS

There's a set of four on eBay for £25 quid?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR...MAAOSwnw5d09c0

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 02-12-19 at 11:59 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 11:59 AM   #7768
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
BTW on,"Fake Britain" or something like that there were some Fake NGK Platignum/Iridium Spark plugs even sold by reputable traders!!!

I was wary of the prices on eBay for 4 so looked them up and it does seem like eBay and Amazon are flooded with fakes. The Iridiums are meant to be about £20 each, but there's lots of people selling 4 for £30... got to be fakes. Part of the reason I got one from Halfords at normal price.

Not good to hear they're finding their way to reputable dealers too though.
Old 02-12-19, 12:04 PM   #7769
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
I was wary of the prices on eBay for 4 so looked them up and it does seem like eBay and Amazon are flooded with fakes. The Iridiums are meant to be about £20 each, but there's lots of people selling 4 for £30... got to be fakes. Part of the reason I got one from Halfords at normal price.

Not good to hear they're finding their way to reputable dealers too though.
Just shows anyone can be fooled.I tried some Iridiums on my old Curvy and although they seemed smooth I could feel there was less grunt so went back to the Original Copper Densos that were in the bike when I got it.I think they could be the factory fitted ones as Denso usually only get Factory fitted.If so they have now done 25k miles and still going strong

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 02-12-19 at 12:06 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 12:15 PM   #7770
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I bought my iridium's from a local dealer. I showed him an eBay advert and asked if he could match. He couldn't but gave me a good deal. I too thought the eBay ones were dodgy.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk