SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-06-20, 11:56 AM   #8261
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Oh yeah, it applies. Had my consultation meeting yesterday. 30 days and I'm gone.
Bugger

You're IT (ish) aren't you? If it's of any reassurance I'm sure there will still be plenty of demand. I've been working weekends and day and night covering people the last few months. Combination of more people working from home and using IT and more people getting sick!
Old 12-06-20, 12:08 PM   #8262
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear that Mike. I hope something turns up quickly for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-20, 05:56 PM   #8263
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Given my redundancy notice yesterday. The first of many other folks I suspect, they are certainly having a cull in my firm. Bit of a bugger, as I think work will be hard to come by for a few months.

I'm not looking for sympathy or anything, I'm in a reasonable position. Just having a moan about it.
Sorry to read this Mike, turns out to be a ****ty year for many of us, perhaps we ought to have a ****ty get together, and say what a **** year, socially distancing of course
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 08:49 PM   #8264
garynortheast
Mega Poster

My sympathies Mike, not a good position to be in just now. Hope something comes along for you soon.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 09:47 PM   #8265
Bibio
Mega Poster

that sucks Mike.. hope you find another job soon.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-20, 04:17 AM   #8266
timwilky
Mega Poster

Not nice Mike. I guess if there is a positive, it is that you know. I have over the years, been the recipient of a number of at risk letters that put my life on hold for 6 months until I get the you are not on the list letter..
Good luck and I hope things work out for you.
Old 15-06-20, 07:12 AM   #8267
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I thought I said I wasn't looking for sympathy?!

Thanks all.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-20, 10:50 AM   #8268
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Some of you may have noticed that despite me getting a new toy from Sony last week I have yet to post any pictures from it on here. Turns out there is a hidden cost of upgrading your camera.

If like me you stated out with the free software on the CD that came with your DSLR you probably wanted a few more options and looked at Lightroom. At the time I did so Adobe were just launching the Creative Cloud subscription service and being a tighwad I decided a cost of £120 per year every year was more than I wanted to pay for a hobby so I got the standalone Lightroom 6 for a one-off cost.

Fast forward to yesterday when I plugged the new Sony in and uploaded my shots to the home PC and fired up Lightroom. Cannot View Image, on all of my Sony shots. Back to the box and, ah, never realised but no software came with the camera. A leaflet tells me about their smartphone app but nothing more. Off to Google and LR6 is now discontinued and if I want to stay with Adobe I have no choice but to go with the £10/month subscription. So I looked at alternatives and I can get a CaptureOne Express for Sony, which is effectively what used to be in the box with the camera, for free. It's meant to be tipping it down with rain all day tomorrow so no faffing in the garden so I'll download it and see how I get on. Nobody mentioned any of this when I was researching which model to buy on those countless YouTube videos...
Old 17-06-20, 10:58 AM   #8269
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Hang on, Lightroom is 3rd party software surely it's not anchored to the camera it was originally used with?

Changing computer maybe, but changing camera??

You just need to import your Pics from the new camera to a folder on the PC, and open lightroom seperately and manipulate them there.
You don't need software to link a camera to a pc, it should pick up as essentially a card reader if it doesn't then you just need a driver so they can speak to eachother (or you could plug your card into the pc if you have a slot).

Edit: just googled it, how frustrating it looks like they change the file formats with the new hard ware and you need to update lightroom to read them. My initial thought is can you change the fileformat the camera uses on the camera settings

Adobe have got very penny pinching lately but that takes the P

Anyway I found this:

The A7II LR came out mid-December as version 5.7.1. However, if you are using the non-Cloud LR there seems to be something wrong with the update detection, and the only way to get it is to download it manually from the Adobe Updates page:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

This is not for the CC version of LR, just the serial-number version.

-
If you don’t want to update your version of Lightroom for any reason, you could resort to the (much clunkier) option of converting your ARW files to *.dng files using Adobe’s Digital Negative Converter and then importing those files into Lightroom (it's a free download) -

Link Here

Last edited by Dave20046; 17-06-20 at 11:11 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-20, 11:04 AM   #8270
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Some of you may have noticed that despite me getting a new toy from Sony last week I have yet to post any pictures from it on here. Turns out there is a hidden cost of upgrading your camera.

If like me you stated out with the free software on the CD that came with your DSLR you probably wanted a few more options and looked at Lightroom. At the time I did so Adobe were just launching the Creative Cloud subscription service and being a tighwad I decided a cost of £120 per year every year was more than I wanted to pay for a hobby so I got the standalone Lightroom 6 for a one-off cost.

Fast forward to yesterday when I plugged the new Sony in and uploaded my shots to the home PC and fired up Lightroom. Cannot View Image, on all of my Sony shots. Back to the box and, ah, never realised but no software came with the camera. A leaflet tells me about their smartphone app but nothing more. Off to Google and LR6 is now discontinued and if I want to stay with Adobe I have no choice but to go with the £10/month subscription. So I looked at alternatives and I can get a CaptureOne Express for Sony, which is effectively what used to be in the box with the camera, for free. It's meant to be tipping it down with rain all day tomorrow so no faffing in the garden so I'll download it and see how I get on. Nobody mentioned any of this when I was researching which model to buy on those countless YouTube videos...
You don't get much in the box these days. Canon don't even put in a USB cable on the cheapest units. Sony and Panasonic usually tell you to visit their website for software. CD's seem to be a thing of the past. I can't justify the cost of CC either but there are some good alternatives like affinity. I'm still using elements which does everything I need

Also try converting the raw files into DNG and lr6 might see them. Adobe do a free dng converter.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Last edited by admin; 17-06-20 at 11:07 AM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote