SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-11-20, 10:13 AM   #8721
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
My five year old HP laptop had an odd screen flicker last night and when black. Now it won't turn on. Rats. Off to Google to see if there is a reset option of any kind or if it looks like it's toast.

We ended up with father-in-laws old Lenovo so I eventually managed to get that running tonight as a stop gap. Quite like the keyboard on it...
Sir Trev that sounds like a screen invertor (£15-£25) failing, if it's an LED screen this will be built in so you need a new screen but thankfully they're cheap (£40 or £50).

I'm taking it you mean only the screen is all black (and you have power LED's on etc).

If not and all sign of life is gone it could be the battery and or powerlead as bibio said but I'd be worried the motherboard has blown (probably new laptop time but the cost may surprise you).
Old 19-11-20, 11:44 AM   #8722
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
(probably new laptop time but the cost may surprise you).
surprise as in "yay!" or surprise as in "good grief"
Old 19-11-20, 01:47 PM   #8723
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
surprise as in "yay!" or surprise as in "good grief"
Either way to be honest. Occasionally it's a yay on older laptops.
Old 19-11-20, 03:47 PM   #8724
Seeker
Mega Poster

Just don't buy a Lenovo 330S. It has a poor colour reproduction display, short duration battery life, no dvd drive and no ethernet port (you have to buy a usb-c adaptor or use wifi only). I really messed up in buying one.
I prefer my 10 year old Toshiba Satellite fitted with an SSD and a larger battery.
Old 19-11-20, 07:19 PM   #8725
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Sir Trev that sounds like a screen invertor (£15-£25) failing, if it's an LED screen this will be built in so you need a new screen but thankfully they're cheap (£40 or £50).

I'm taking it you mean only the screen is all black (and you have power LED's on etc).

If not and all sign of life is gone it could be the battery and or powerlead as bibio said but I'd be worried the motherboard has blown (probably new laptop time but the cost may surprise you).
The power light comes on but now I have no screen at all, no caps or num lock lights and no other features like illuminated keys work. Then it will not power down at all, even if you hold the button for a while. Charged it up again and it all did the same thing.

We have an indie repair place up the road - I'll see if they're open. If it's not economic to repair then so be it. I've had reasonable life from it and thankfully my company records (my Ltd company bought it) are on my Google Drive. Thanks for the suggestions all.
Old 19-11-20, 09:00 PM   #8726
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
The power light comes on but now I have no screen at all, no caps or num lock lights and no other features like illuminated keys work. Then it will not power down at all, even if you hold the button for a while. Charged it up again and it all did the same thing.

We have an indie repair place up the road - I'll see if they're open. If it's not economic to repair then so be it. I've had reasonable life from it and thankfully my company records (my Ltd company bought it) are on my Google Drive. Thanks for the suggestions all.
Sounds like motherboard. Can be anything from £80-500. Your data is unlikely to be gone, that's stored on the harddrive if you need it.

At it's age maybe buy another. Black Friday deals perhaps...
Old 22-11-20, 10:05 PM   #8727
CheGuevara

Went to a Timpsons in Asda to get a key blank cut for my old Toyota. I brought a blank with me (bought online for £2.50), but he said they were only allowed to cut blanks they sell. I said fair enough, and asked if he had a blank. He said "I do. It's £40" Looked identical to my £2.50 one fwiw.

He had that slightly sheepish look like he knew they were taking the ****. I'm amazed they sell any at that sort of money. Now very clear why they won't cut one they didn't sell.

Will go visit a local independent once this round of lockdown is over.
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 10:07 PM   #8728
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGuevara View Post
Went to a Timpsons in Asda to get a key blank cut for my old Toyota. I brought a blank with me (bought online for £2.50), but he said they were only allowed to cut blanks they sell. I said fair enough, and asked if he had a blank. He said "I do. It's £40" Looked identical to my £2.50 one fwiw.

He had that slightly sheepish look like he knew they were taking the ****. I'm amazed they sell any at that sort of money. Now very clear why they won't cut one they didn't sell.

Funnily enough I had a very similar conversation in Morrison's Timsons. It's starting to show that they hire ex-robbers ...£10 for a standard key cut?!
Old 23-11-20, 12:03 AM   #8729
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGuevara View Post

Well that is a massive pi55 take I think! Good on you for saying no thanks and going somewhere else.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 07:46 AM   #8730
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Funnily enough I had a very similar conversation in Morrison's Timsons. It's starting to show that they hire ex-robbers ...£10 for a standard key cut?!
Hah, I was going to post the same thing ....
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote