SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-12-20, 09:47 AM   #8801
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Thalidomide was indeed a tragedy, I was growing up at the time when the scandal was in the news. Oddly, it's now used as a cancer treatment (and is very effective for some cancers) as one of its effects is helping the immune system identify and kill cancer cells.

But I'm sure the vaccine will be fine, nothing like the intro to 'I Am Legend' could actually happen in real life ....
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 10:02 AM   #8802
Seeker
Mega Poster

Spam! I have several email accounts and the spam filters are good at isolating them but I've noticed a recent uptick in the amount I'm getting. It seems to fall into two categories 1) The BDO bank warning me that my account is about to be suspended (it's a bank in the Philippines - a place I've never been and never held a bank account) 2) I have (apparently) been awarded £7426 (or similar) in bitcoins.
Old 06-12-20, 11:30 AM   #8803
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I'd agree with that. Also spam texts to my phone and worse still, loads of calls. To the point where I've started ignoring unknown numbers and have ended up missing a couple of genuine important calls.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 11:55 AM   #8804
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I get very few of these scam calls/Text etc and I put it down to registering my phone numbers with the free TPS (Telephone Preference Service) but this service does not block International calls,

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

So.........

You can block most calls on Android using this information,

https://tunecomp.net/block-calls-fro...t-in-contacts/

There are plenty of Call blockers on the Playstore for Android and on the Apple store.

I use,"Should I Answer" which has a large database of bad numbers and no Ads/Nags unlike other Number Blockers and no registration required.

https://www.shouldianswer.co.uk

There's more useful information here,

https://epidev03.citizensadvice.org....lls-and-texts/

HTH
Old 06-12-20, 12:02 PM   #8805
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I've been registered with the TPS for a few years. hasn't stopped the calls. Most say they come from a UK city but think it's just a cover for an international location.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 12:09 PM   #8806
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I've been registered with the TPS for a few years. hasn't stopped the calls. Most say they come from a UK city but think it's just a cover for an international location.
Try,"Should I Answer".

I get so few I think they don't like me any more
Old 06-12-20, 01:33 PM   #8807
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
This is a gripe/observation of the day . . .

For those who want to get the Vaccine, are you aware the Government has indemnified Pfizer against being sued - for me, that's a sign of lack of confidence about its success rate and potential safety.

Docs link

Have they? I may be wrong here, I thought there was already an EU directive that protected pharmaceuticals if they released an unlicensed drug to use if they needed it, such as in a pandemic. Isn't it linked to the EU rules that the Gov used to get the vaccine through quickly in the first place (as opposed to Brexit being the reason it became available so quickly).
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 12:38 AM   #8808
svenrico

Seeing the scenes of recent crowds in Nottingham and London on tv news today we are going to be subject to covid restrictions for a while yet.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 07:18 AM   #8809
Kenzie

I saw the Christmas market in Nottingham and was surprised that it was allowed to go ahead in a tier 3 area in the first place.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 10:01 AM   #8810
shiftin_gear98

Muppets - Unfortunately the world is full of them.

Covid has finally reached me in deepest darkest Essex. Yesterday my eldest sons school (JF - Newport) messaged on their school app that there have been 3 confirmed cases of Covid at school.
Two in my sons year. He now has to quarantine at home for two weeks as he "could" have been in contact. Which means he misses the end of the year, something he's actually gutted about.

And now this morning my other two's school has just said Reception, Yr 3 and Yr 5 have to quarantine.
Mine are Yr 2 and Yr 6. I can't imagine it'll be long before they are off too. It's a tiny school, only one class a year.

Looks like I might get Christmas at home at this rate. (Yay) - Although I'll have to deal with a ****ed off wife.