SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-01-21, 07:37 PM   #9151
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Just me (again) or does anyone else note the usual "London-centric" reporting regarding the snow?
Scotland, the north of England, Wales etc can get snow on and off for a month and there's barely a shrug on the media. Get a couple of cm south-east of Oxford and it's the front page in the rags and leading story on the mainstream TV news. Pathetic.

PS - I think lockdown is getting to me.
It's because usually those people only see Snow when they go to Verbier, and pretend to Ski for a week. When in reality they're only their to $hag the lodge staff and get drunk.

it's not news worthy, and it's not a shock to get snow. in winter. If it happened on the 30th June, yes it should be on the news. But not in winter.

News these days is not about what's going on, it's what they think people want to watch. Or using it to push propaganda

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-21, 11:00 PM   #9152
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
you're welcome. Glad to see you're not sensitive about being teased.
I've taken my bat home, I'm not playing any more. You can keep your silly camera.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 09:12 AM   #9153
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGuevara View Post
Maybe more of an observation than an actual gripe, but Google (Classrooms) has officially killed the snow day. My kids school is closed (even to key workers) - online learning to continue as usual. Good chance kids will never again experience the joy of waking up to find out they get the day off to have snowball fights, sledding, build epic snow men etc...
That is a real shame that 'technology killed childhood' - the unexpected day off is probably a better treat than all that planned stuff, I know it was when I was little.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 10:48 AM   #9154
Grant66

I doubt schools will be well organised to be able to have this set up and ready to go in case of this type of event.

If this was a possibility, it also signals the end to term time holiday fines as kids could continue school work from the pool side in Spain.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 12:55 PM   #9155
CheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
I doubt schools will be well organised to be able to have this set up and ready to go in case of this type of event.

My kids' primary (small village school - maybe 70 or so kids) was quick to set up some web-based curriculum as soon as there was whispers of closures at the 1st lockdown last year. It was enough to keep them on track and everyone moving together.

Before the start of this school year (before Sept) they transitioned to Google classrooms, which is a bit more comprehensive/cohesive, and from then the teachers have been duplicating all the work for the classroom day into google classrooms, so any kids who were not able to attend wouldn't miss out. As a result, this latest lockdown transition was pretty much seamless.

It's still a challenge trying to keep three kids, 9 and under, focused on schoolwork for the day while also doing my job (which I'm grateful to have), but it works very well. They also have a video call (or two) most days where they can all catch up together which helps with the isolation.

It's also no doubt more work for the teachers as they're having to teach kids in person (children of key workers), and record videos and provide guidance and comments etc through google, but they've really stepped up.

It's not perfect - maybe 80-90% as good as being in class, but I suppose it's similar to 100% WFH for a lot of people -sometimes there's an advantage to being there in person.

I hadn't considered the holiday aspect, but maybe that's where things will be headed once this sort of learning becomes more normal. I suppose it depends on uptake though- I only have my kids school as a reference. That said I wouldn't want to (finally) get somewhere sunny and have to spend my days keeping my kids on track with schoolwork
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 01:46 PM   #9156
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

My wife's secondary school have been told they need to plan lessons with one eye on delivering online from now on. As have other schools she's spoken with.

Could also be an end to substitute teachers, if one is off they could use their internal cover staff to be in the classroom and unless they are very ill, could remotely give the lesson. This is what she did when track and traced.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 08:02 PM   #9157
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Just had the next two months of self employed work pulled out from under me. Just before I went to collect parts this afternoon. The company I was doing it for is furlowing their staff as demand has dropped.

Still not able to get any help from the governement for loss of income due to the pandemic as they still base it on a year three years ago when I lost money winding down my own business that wasn't working out. They refuse to acknowledge my income I'm managed to climb back to in the last two years. So will give me zero support.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 09:23 PM   #9158
Craig380
Mega Poster

That sucks, sorry to hear that, Adam.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 09:43 PM   #9159
garynortheast
Mega Poster

There was some discussion on radio 4 this morning to do with the large numbers of people who have been left high and dry in the same way Adam. Another U turn from the clown in chief is needed now.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 10:02 PM   #9160
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear this Adam. It really is a crappy way to treat people.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk