SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-05, 07:34 AM   #1
Anonymous

Default General bike catalyser/fuel/sensor question

Whats the function of oxygen sensor in an exhaust?

Is it just linked to mixture control? Is it the same as a Lambda sensor?

I assume its ahead of the catalyser, and so is nothing to do with the cat.

If you destroy your cat via water entry or incorrect fuel (in places where you get what your given) what will be the effect on the bike? I asume nothing, as long as no sensors like the above are actually anything to do with the cat?

Old 01-04-05, 08:20 AM   #2
jonboy

Well you would go and buy a new fangled techno toy wouldn't you. What have you done to it?

The oxygen sensor gives information to the CPU regarding fuel burnt which will then adapt the fueling and timing and is designed so that (in theory) the engine will run optimally. If you're going to remove the cat and replace the exhaust (with a Remus full system?) then you might find that a remap will be best (if available).

Old 01-04-05, 08:30 AM   #3
Anonymous

No it was just for info really. I've no intention of changing the exhaust and de-catting at the mo as its a nice sound when the bikes running and I'm not bothered about loudness, and if a y-piece and new can will free up hp* I'm not especially bothered as theres loads there for me. I also think the can looks fine.

My main concern is getting water in the cat or poisoning the cat and then having a problem. As people rip out the cat I dont think I will.

*apparently you can free up a lot of hp, but the I think the situation is uncertain on the 12GS about remaps etc etc..or at least the jury is still out