SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-05, 05:53 PM   #11
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Vee twins tend to have a flatter torque curve, but IL4's are pussy cats at low revs and modern 600's can be ridden in traffic without hitting the "all hell breaks lose" spot.
Ahh the dilema I'm facing. Especialy after getting my SV remaped, the torque curve is even flatter, and I really like it that way.

After trying the ZX-6R, I liked the amount of power, and even thought the low down grunt was decent enough for my tastes, I just didn't like the violent transition between the two!

But then I had a brief ride on a Thundercat, which felt closer to my SV than the 6R in terms of power curve

So now I'm even more confused as what bike I want next
Old 03-08-05, 06:00 PM   #12
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
So now I'm even more confused as what bike I want next
okay - I'll expect the usual flames................ you need to try a Hornet (very linear power cure - more a line really) and a Z750.

Or try one of the old type of Yam Fazers - the ones with the headlights a bit like the pointy SVs.
Old 03-08-05, 06:33 PM   #13
Flamin_Squirrel

Unfortunately Jabba, I want a faired bike

I may look a the CBR600F, that's basicaly a faired Hornet isnt it?
Old 03-08-05, 06:48 PM   #14
Jelster

Quote:
Unfortunately Jabba, I want a faired bike

The CBR600F is a very compenent bike and around town probably a better selection than the RR, GSXR, or Kawaski. I read a report that compared it to the RR which said in the wet it handles better due to it's softer suspension, the 0-60 was similar, it was far more comfortable and of course, was cheaper to buy and insure.

Old 03-08-05, 06:51 PM   #15
Jabba

Quote:
It's a way better bike than that - better suspension, frame, etc and more potent engine.
Old 03-08-05, 06:58 PM   #16
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba-the-Hutt
Quote:
It's a way better bike than that - better suspension, frame, etc and more potent engine.
i think there t-balls

i have one

there great for touring too - will easily keep up with/ if not pass GSX-R's. CBR600RR's and R6's

the 0-60 is better on the CBR600F than the CBR600RR as it is easier to launch (if i recall correctly)
Old 03-08-05, 07:10 PM   #17
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba-the-Hutt
Quote:
More potent engine, in what way? If potent means tuned for more top end power then I'm not sure I'll like it. Although, I'm not even sure about that, because I might just get used to it

The 636 is ment to have a more linear power curve isnt it? Well, more so than other sports 600s... so that doesn't really say much does it
Old 03-08-05, 07:44 PM   #18
Warren

if im correct in thinking that the hornet is about 80bhp ? (jabba will correct me no matter what i say ) and my CBR is 109bhp standard (im hoping its alot more now i tinkered with it a bit)

the engine is the same . apart from the CBR's is designed to rev higher and harder. stretching the power out more across the rev range.

the hornet revs to about 10k (again . . . jabba correct me) while my CBR revs to 17k (redline is about 14.5k)

jabbas hornet will have more low down power than my CBR, but once i get my CBR upto about 8k i will leave jabba in the dust (in theory anyway ) the CBR just seems to rev and rev and rev.

but you gotta remember (what alot of people forget) is that the midrange is alot higher up in the rev range on an IL4 than on the SV. they need to be ridden at between 5-8k revs (thats where the midrange starts)
Old 03-08-05, 08:40 PM   #19
BURNER

Horses for courses. MY SV is the only v twin I've ever had. I've had loads of IL4s in the past, my fave IL4 still being the barking mad early GSXR750 with it's flat slide carbs and 2 stroke like power delivery. In contrast I find the Sv much easier on the road and easier to live with from insurnace, maintenance and license point of view.
I don't think there is a bike that will be everything to everyone, not that everyone of us has the same style or pace of riding anyway. It'd be kind of boring if every bike was the same anyway.
I think my next bike, if I don't buy another Suzuki, will either be a trumpet thruxton or an older speed triple.

Buy British
Old 03-08-05, 09:46 PM   #20
kwak zzr

my mates thruxton with track pipes! sounds great! its a good bike with no oil leaks.