SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-09-10, 05:22 PM   #1
danf1234

Default Standard ECU Remap

What benefits will I see from getting my standard ECU remapped such as what Steve Jordans offer?

I guess what I am driving at, is the benefit gains worth the cost outlay? £150 ish I think.

Will I get more power, better fuel economy? smoother power delivery? better lower rpm response etc?
Old 08-09-10, 07:54 PM   #2
TazDaz

Default Re: Standard ECU Remap

Can't speak from experience, but I doubt it.

The engine feels good enough to me with standard ECU map. The low RPM pull is fine.
Old 10-09-10, 08:22 AM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

No point unless you are modifying stuff
Old 10-09-10, 09:33 PM   #4
flymo
Mega Poster

As Chris said, no point unless there is a particular problem or you are changing something that might affect fuelling (e.g., exhaust system, cams etc)

£150 might sound expensive but its cheaper than adding something like a Power Commander to the pointy, dont forget to factor in the transport to and from SJs.

Worked out well for me on my race bike, I was able to remove a PC that I had fitted (this was sold to pay for the remap), adjusted the fuel/air ratio throughout the rev range to accomodate the Hindle race exhaust system and it runs like a dream. On top of all that Steve was able to test compression, valve leakage etc for me and so you end up with a good understanding of your engines health. Its more than just a remap and well worth it in my experience.

Last edited by flymo; 10-09-10 at 09:34 PM.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 10:01 PM   #5
tom46

Does the SJ re-map get rid of the nasty dip @ 5k rpm ???
£150 sounds a bargain if it's as good as a pc5 as I was quoted £500 fitted with custom map
Old 10-09-10, 10:06 PM   #6
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom46 View Post
Does the SJ re-map get rid of the nasty dip @ 5k rpm ???
£150 sounds a bargain if it's as good as a pc5 as I was quoted £500 fitted with custom map
I believe so yes, usually the 5K dip is added intentionally for emissions testing.

A power commander is simply an ECU that allows you to remap using supplied software and a dyno. If you can remap the stock ECU then why would you need one. The main reason is that some dyno tuners dont have the capability to remap the stock ECU.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 11:50 PM   #7
barwel1992

it am looking in to this for some thing to do in the future, i also have the 5k dip, also fuel consumption is rubbish so might help (i hope)
Old 11-09-10, 11:41 AM   #8
SV650Racer

Even on stock bikes a remap can improve things especially as most bikes are fueled for emmisions as standard. The factory puts in a generic map when they build the bike so custom mapping to the individual bike has benefits regardless of whether its modded or not.