SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 03-02-11, 10:23 PM   #51
Filipe M.

Default Re: Photography / Camera chat thread.

That is indeed a funny one, and a bit of an historical thing. Let's go back a few (10-15) years to the film era. You used to have different types of film (black and white, colour reversal, slide), but within those different types you also had films that had different behaviours to the same exposure conditions. For instance, Fuji Velvia is / was known for massively deep greens and very high contrast, making it a favourite amongst landscape photographers. On the other hand, shoot a portrait with it and people will look like a pumpkin. If on the other hand you take a roll of Fuji Astia and shoot a portrait, the skin tones will be beautifully rendered, but take it outside and shoot an amazing landscape with it and what you get is "blah" colours. It was pretty much a horses for courses thing, different tools for a given use.

Digital cameras don't have different sensors to use depending on the circumstances. What they have is an electronic thingy that captures photons and turns them into electrons, which then are converted into bits. And pretty meaningless bits at that, because they still have to be mapped to tones and colours so that we can actually interpret them as photographs.
Now this thing can be done inside the camera (and you get jpgs / tiffs / whatever) or outside, in a computer (when you shoot raw), but it always has to be done. What will give you the different look is the algorithm the camera / editor will use, so in a way, all of those brill pics have been enhanced one way or the other, either in camera or outside.
You can try it yourself: take your camera out of auto mode and set it on P, or A, shooting JPEG Fine Large. Match your white balance to the conditions you're shooting in, or just leave it in Auto White Balance.
Go into the shooting menu and look for Set Picture Controls (this is Nikon specific, on a Canon it'll be called something different). Scroll to Standard, then click the right pad button. Once you're there, bring the Sharpening, Contrast and Saturation all the way down to - (careful not to go into A - automatic). Press OK and take a picture of something colourful with that Picture Control enabled.
Now go back to the Set Picture Controls menu, scroll down to Vivid, press right button, set Sharpening at 7, Contrast and Saturation at +1, press OK and take the same picture with those settings.
Bring those pictures into the computer and compare them side by side. Taking nothing else into account, like composition (we're assuming it's the same), which picture do you like best? Which one looks more "processed" / fake?
Both of them came from the camera, haven't been touched by any other photo editing software other than the camera processor itself, which is giving you the choice to have it behave like you want it to, instead of having to go out and buy a different roll of film.

Of course, on top of this you can still have your photos enhanced with Photoshop / Lightroom / Aperture / GIMP / whatever you use. What I mean with this rambling is that not necessarily all "brill" super saturated pictures have been filtered or saturated to pixel death in a computer, you can also fake them inside the camera.

Jeez sorry for yet another page long ramble......
Old 03-02-11, 11:08 PM   #52
Bluefish

Thanks for the history lesson Filipe I guess on most cameras these days you can do some sort of editing /processing anyhow, even on my oldish, well 4year old cannon compact you can change the colours, vivid black and white sepia etc as well as full manual controll for exp etc, so using photoshop etc, just gives you more controll, so we is wrong specialone, it's all cheating, lol.
Old 04-02-11, 07:29 AM   #53
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
Speci....my issue is that my brain seems to get confuddled with numbers being involved, it takes me a good few attempts at reading it before I start to get what it means.
Best thing to do is just go out there and play with it til you get the results you want, you'll pick it up soon enough, nice thing about digital is the delete button, if you dont like delete it,and try again.
Old 04-02-11, 01:50 PM   #54
stewie

Ive just got the results back from the lab of my £35 ebay special, Im so impressed I'm seriuosly thinking of binning the D60 and just sticking with the film camera, but that would be a bit stoopid I suppose, so need to start thinking about lenses to fit both the D60 and the f 90, I think the D60 will be getting replaced sooner rather than later so watch this space there may be a bargain coming up btw any have any experience of the f 100 or f4 nikons ? Ive read the Ken rockwell stuff but wondered if anyone had any real hands on experience, ta.
Old 04-02-11, 02:09 PM   #55
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Ive just got the results back from the lab of my £35 ebay special, Im so impressed I'm seriuosly thinking of binning the D60 and just sticking with the film camera, but that would be a bit stoopid I suppose, so need to start thinking about lenses to fit both the D60 and the f 90, I think the D60 will be getting replaced sooner rather than later so watch this space there may be a bargain coming up btw any have any experience of the f 100 or f4 nikons ? Ive read the Ken rockwell stuff but wondered if anyone had any real hands on experience, ta.
I think you'll find your current selection of cameras will limit your lens choice in a weird way... the D60 needs lenses with built-in motors (AF-S or the 3rd party equivalents) otherwise it's manual focus only, and the F90 needs full frame lenses with aperture rings otherwise it's S and P mode only. This F90 requirement takes out all the G lenses in one go (pretty much all the new lenses), restricting you to AF-S D lenses. Not ideal! If you could upgrade your D60 to a D80 / D90 / D7000 then the built-in motor restriction goes away and you can use pretty much every D lens without restrictions in both cameras.

On the other hand, and answering your other question, I do have an F100 and I flippin' love it. It feels and handles just right, and it's built like a brick. Get one if you can, just pay attention to what Rockwell says about the winder peg. Mine has the square pegs and I never had a problem with it.
By doing this, you remove the last D lens restriction, since the F100 can use pretty much every F-mount lens out there. HTH.

Last edited by Filipe M.; 04-02-11 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 02:16 PM   #56
stewie

Cheers Filipe you pretty much answered all my questions in one, Ill prob keep the f90 and look for a f100 plus quite fancy a D90 as well, better star saving I guess
Old 04-02-11, 03:04 PM   #57
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Cheers Filipe you pretty much answered all my questions in one, Ill prob keep the f90 and look for a f100 plus quite fancy a D90 as well, better star saving I guess

Here you go then!

Oh, photo taken with a D60!
Old 04-02-11, 03:47 PM   #58
mr.anderson

Look what just arrived on my desk!

Apologies for this rubbish quality of pic - taken on an iPhone.

Last edited by mr.anderson; 04-02-11 at 03:48 PM.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 03:47 PM   #59
mr.anderson

And speaking of F100's, I have on that I may wish to sell. It's hardly been used. Open to offers if anyone's keen.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 03:57 PM   #60
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.anderson View Post
And speaking of F100's, I have on that I may wish to sell. It's hardly been used. Open to offers if anyone's keen.
£30