SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 05-02-11, 10:18 PM   #81
mr.anderson

Default Re: Photography / Camera chat thread.

I've just dug out my Dad's Nikon F - it's the 1968 model with Photomic Head.

It's clearly used, but Grays of Westminster say it's in good working order.

I've ordered batteries and film - going to be a bit of an adventure shooting those first 36 shots and seeing how they come out.

mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 10:25 PM   #82
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.anderson View Post

I've ordered batteries and film - going to be a bit of an adventure shooting those first 36 shots and seeing how they come out.
That's brilliant, that's what I call a camera with character. Try to resist the temptation to look at the back of the camera too often after you take a shot though, I still fall for it every now and again Nothing beats the puzzled look on my 6 yo daughter's face when she asks me to see the picture I've just taken, though

@bluefishman: congrats on your new purchase, have fun with it
Old 05-02-11, 10:36 PM   #83
Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe M. View Post
Try to resist the temptation to look at the back of the camera too often after you take a shot though, I still fall for it every now and again Nothing beats the puzzled look on my 6 yo daughter's face when she asks me to see the picture I've just taken, though

@bluefishman: congrats on your new purchase, have fun with it
LoL at looking at the back of camera , and cheers mate, trying to work out what all the buttons do at the mo, probably for next few years as well though i see what you meant when you said ages ago about access to the functions without having to go into the menu, you just turn the dials to alter the parameters
Old 06-02-11, 06:51 AM   #84
keith_d
Mega Poster

I've got an old Nikon F somewhere in the back of a cupboard, but no photomic head. The shutter speeds were a bit off when I tested them, but that was no problem for shooting black and white.

Keith
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 01:06 PM   #85
jambo
Mega Poster

Mr.Anderson: Looks like the last of the line "Nikon F Photomic FTn" I used this site to download manuals of my own Canon A-1 ~1978

mir.com

Jambo
Old 06-02-11, 01:42 PM   #86
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.anderson View Post

You can't beat film, I had a pristine Fm2n a while back that I got for virtually nothing on ebay, wish I hadnt got shut now.
Old 06-02-11, 07:11 PM   #87
allantheboss

New camera n00b!

This summer I plan on touring with my bro around Europe, and I'm going to be studying abroad in Sydney over the whole of next year. I don't know how to use SLR funky-style functions so don't want to get ahead of myself and don't have a large budget, and will be packing light, so this leads me towards compacts. I expect to be taking many scenic landscape pics in plenty of sun.

My budget is roughly £150-200. More than happy to buy used.
Old 06-02-11, 08:20 PM   #88
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allantheboss View Post
New camera n00b!

This summer I plan on touring with my bro around Europe, and I'm going to be studying abroad in Sydney over the whole of next year. I don't know how to use SLR funky-style functions so don't want to get ahead of myself and don't have a large budget, and will be packing light, so this leads me towards compacts. I expect to be taking many scenic landscape pics in plenty of sun.

My budget is roughly £150-200. More than happy to buy used.
In your place I'd be looking at Panasonic's TZ range, from the TZ6 upwards. Great little cameras with very decent optics, and the newer ones will even have built-in GPS so you can geotag your pictures on the fly. If you do get one you might want to invest on a second (or even third) battery though, as they're just too small and the cameras will eat through them as if there's no tomorrow... especially the GPS enabled ones.
Old 07-02-11, 11:02 AM   #89
allantheboss

Thanks for the advice, but with touring I really can't settle for having bad batteries...
Old 07-02-11, 11:18 AM   #90
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allantheboss View Post
Thanks for the advice, but with touring I really can't settle for having bad batteries...
Hence the recommendation for having a couple of spares. I do believe the camera is worth the hassle, as the image quality and features are just brilliant.

Your other option is to get something that takes AA batteries (Canon A series, IIRC) and carry a travel charger with a couple of sets of rechargeables. The batteries themselves will carry more charge than a standard compact camera battery, and even if you find you run out of juice they are pretty easy to find everywhere. The cameras themselves might be slightly bulkier though, and probably not as good as the TZ series from Panny.