SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-02-16, 09:34 PM   #11
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Motorcycle Crash - Aftermath

Bit of a run of biking luck!!!!
SV parts are fairly common and can be sourced. Which is a positive, if you're looking at rebuilding.

I wasn't so lucky with my bike. It took nearly 18 months of scouring the country bare for parts that are so rare you'd find it easier to find a needle in a haystack! If I'd have thought harder about the massive headache, I'd have let the assessors categorise it, and gotten myself a new one! Oh well, she's back better than ever now

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-16, 10:23 PM   #12
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Sometimes it's worth breaking it and selling the parts yourself rather than letting it go complete. A good SV engine is worth over £300 and a pair of wheel with discs on them can go for £150-£200 so that's a potential £500 just there.

The problem with selling the bike complete, as you yourself found out with the bike in Glasgow, is the cost of delivering/collecting it.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-16, 11:07 PM   #13
L3nny
Mega Poster

It's probably completely irrelevant but mint, my Fireblade was worth about 2k (probably about the same as your SV before the crash). I ended up selling it for just under £1200.
This was 4 years ago though so things may have changed.

It all depends on how much of the work you can do yourself and how much patience you have. I don't know one end of a spanner from the other so would have had to pay someone else to fix most of it which meant it wasn't cost effective

Last edited by L3nny; 24-02-16 at 11:10 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-16, 12:50 AM   #14
AlexRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Saw a couple with front end damage like yours being offered for £1000 on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Bit of a run of biking luck!!!!
SV parts are fairly common and can be sourced. Which is a positive, if you're looking at rebuilding.

I wasn't so lucky with my bike. It took nearly 18 months of scouring the country bare for parts that are so rare you'd find it easier to find a needle in a haystack! If I'd have thought harder about the massive headache, I'd have let the assessors categorise it, and gotten myself a new one! Oh well, she's back better than ever now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Sometimes it's worth breaking it and selling the parts yourself rather than letting it go complete. A good SV engine is worth over £300 and a pair of wheel with discs on them can go for £150-£200 so that's a potential £500 just there.

The problem with selling the bike complete, as you yourself found out with the bike in Glasgow, is the cost of delivering/collecting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
It's probably completely irrelevant but mint, my Fireblade was worth about 2k (probably about the same as your SV before the crash). I ended up selling it for just under £1200.
This was 4 years ago though so things may have changed.

It all depends on how much of the work you can do yourself and how much patience you have. I don't know one end of a spanner from the other so would have had to pay someone else to fix most of it which meant it wasn't cost effective
Thought I'd address this to all of you as you all made very valid comments. I put it up for sale on gumtree and received an offer for £500 if I sell it Friday. I initially put it up for £800 as I think it's fairly reasonable. Bare in mind, I'm not desperate for money either..

What do you guys think of the offer? Should I wait it out and see or just take it?

Honestly, I probably could rebuild it but it would take money that I don't currently have, a lot of time and patience. I'm not a mechanic and far from one as standards go so it would be a huge amount of effort on my part.. Which is why it would probably be better to just sell it :-/
Old 25-02-16, 08:34 AM   #15
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Alex, effort is something that only you can provide. Economically you're going to have to spend money to get back on the road, either adding to whatever you sell for to make the value of a replacement or by fixing what you have. Mechanical knowledge is something that most of us have developed by taking on projects such as this, don't let it put you off, it's really not that complicated and there is help out there.

Having the time and facilities to do it however are another matter. It's not something you will be able to do on the pavement outside your house in a weekend. The photos show it in a garage with another bike but I don't know if that's a permanent arrangement or if it's suitable for the rebuild. You'll also need to invest some money in tools and equipment, but think of that as just that, an investment. If you're planning on riding bikes for a few years the money you will save with your tools and the expertise acquired on this project will come back to you several times over.

So really it all comes back to time. Either you've got it or you haven't.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-16, 08:43 AM   #16
atassiedevil

In your situ i would buy that bike with the blown engine, and go that route. You have a good engine, and while your initial outlay would be steep to get it all done, you'll get most if not all your money back in time, and not have to do too much as well to get back on the road.
Also anything you do not sell off your bike, you have as spares, plus the engine out of the other one, if you need gearbox/cams/injection etc.
There are couriers out there who will do that move for you for £100 if you do not mind waiting for them to schedule it in. Facebook bike groups are full of these, because they make their money on volume rather than price.
All worthy of thought. Is there anyone you can borrow a trailer off? Then you're just dealing with fuel/time as issues.
C.
Old 25-02-16, 06:16 PM   #17
JonSV

I have a trailer that you can borrow from Bristol if it helps.
Old 26-02-16, 04:00 AM   #18
ManMango

http://www.anyvan.com/man-and-van

I used this for my first bike. was about a 4 hour journey cost me £100.

You submit what you need transporting and people who are available on those routes bid for your custom. Pick the lowest price with best reviews.

Even if its not that particular bike with the blown engine its still probably worth getting a second from whereever that may turn out to be and turning them into one.

Initial cash might be an issue but if you can get the funds this will be your best bet.
Old 26-02-16, 07:00 PM   #19
Tomor
Mega Poster

Glad you are ok. Looks like you ahve made it on youtube! Found this just now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_BjhCYz8Q

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Old 26-02-16, 07:05 PM   #20
Cymraeg_Atodeg

I got a few old SV bits in my garage you can have, I've not using them. There is a screen, some levers and a few other bits, I'll dig them out and take photos in the week if you want