SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-03-16, 03:47 PM   #1
Davemurphy007

Default Anybody done an off-road training school/course?

Afternoon peeps,

Planning things to do on my next holiday back to the UK. I am shortly taking delivery of my Ducati Scrambler out here in Saudi which opens up the opportunity to do a bit of light off-roading through the desert and scrub. given the huge potential for me to get things wrong on my expensive new bike it'd probably be a good idea (and great fun hopefully) to get some off-road training before deciding to crack on with some 'bondu-bashing'.

Has anybody got any recommendations? I'm in Southampton but happy to travel to a course within reason (probably no further North than Yorkshire). The only one I actually know of is a KTM off-road school, but I get the impression that's as much about testing and selling their bikes as it is about giving rider's new skills. Google reveals that Yamaha do one as well. Cost is no issue either, so long as it's justified with good quality training.

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle - www.youtube.com/davemurphyengineer
Facebook: DME Vlogs - Twitter: @MrChipMurphy
Davemurphy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-16, 03:54 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anybody done an off-road training school/course?

There in the BMW off road school were Ewan & Charlie trained before 'The long way round' that's in Wales somewhere I think.

Looks like fun

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/...html&notrack=1
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-16, 04:12 PM   #3
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The Patsy Quick school is only just up the road in East Sussex or is that the KTM school you were referring to?

http://www.adventureridingacademy.com
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-16, 04:15 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
There in the BMW off road school were Ewan & Charlie trained before 'The long way round' that's in Wales somewhere I think.

Looks like fun

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/...html&notrack=1
It is based just south of the Brecons. You do get Simon Pavey & Nick Plumb training people over there too if they are around. I've heard v good things about the course!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-16, 04:41 PM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

The KTM one used to be Yamaha and has a venue in Winchester. We did it when it was Yamaha and Stu has just booked to do it now it's KTM. Good course, nice staff, no trying to sell you anything at all.

I'd recommend them. £185 a day, all gear and coffee included. You just take a packed lunch and I'd recommend lots of soft drinks as you get thirsty.
Old 13-03-16, 07:39 PM   #6
JonSV

I would advise talking to whoever you go with to check what you are getting. I did a beginers off road "training day" a couple of years ago, but it turned out to be a long ride with virtually no training at all. We also spent about an hour of it standing around in the cold (it was January) after one of the "instructors" rode into a flooded steam and literally swam, so mild hyperthermia and an engine full of water. Not impressed. Can't remember who it was, but was based just west of Salisbury Plain. Fine if you want a guided ride on their bikes, rubbish if you want skills training.
Old 13-03-16, 08:36 PM   #7
Balky001
Mega Poster

I did a Yamaha off road day in Wales a few years ago. http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/team.html Very good. Absolutely shattered after the day. They have acres and acres of woodland available to them.

I also did MX Try Out at their Norfolk location. It is circuit based rather than going over miles of countryside. Depends what you are after, I liked the short circuit learning but my mate and my daughter preferred the off road school http://www.mxtryout.co.uk/

Either way, they are probably the most fun you can have on two wheels under 60mph
Old 14-03-16, 12:26 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

MX Tryout is fantastic, as Balky says it's short circuit not trail but TBH as a noob it'll make no difference to you really. You get plenty of instruction and support.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-16, 02:19 PM   #9
Davemurphy007

Thanks very much for all the recommendations. Have booked myself onto the Yamaha off road experience on one of their Tenere training days. Seemed a very nice bunch of people to deal with and their course seems to suit me best in terms of level of instruction, bikes being used and, well, I would say terrain but nothing the UK can offer will get close to the Saudi desert lol.

I'll let everyone know how I get on. Thank you for all the help.

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle - www.youtube.com/davemurphyengineer
Facebook: DME Vlogs - Twitter: @MrChipMurphy
Davemurphy007 is offline   Reply With Quote