SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-08, 10:09 AM   #1
New Leaf

Default center stand / abba stand?

hello all,

Its silly question time again.

I've never had a bike with a center stand before - and have used an abba stand on my sv650 for cleaning, lubing the chain and some very basic maintenance.

The bike i have ordered to arrive on march 1st (an FZ1S) has a centerstand. does this mean i will no longer be needing my abba stand - or is there stuff u can do on an abba stand that you can't do on a centerstand - if so what?

thanks.
Old 29-01-08, 10:22 AM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: center stand / abba stand?

Well your bikes centre stand should cover most things, but I think if you are doing really big work then you will find the Abba stand more stable. But then you might get another bike in the future where the Abba would be better suited.
Old 29-01-08, 12:54 PM   #3
New Leaf

cool - thanks for that - pretty much what i thought.

I won't be doing any major work on the bike. Changing the oil / adjusting the chain is about my limit for mechanical know how - so i guess then center stand will do me fine.
Old 29-01-08, 01:58 PM   #4
philbut

centre stand should be fine for that. I use the one on my ZZR600 to strip the entire rear suspension and swingarm, and remove the front forks. No problem. The Abba is more stable, but to remove the swing are you need the extra fitting. you can just as easily do this on the centre stand.