SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Old 18-04-10, 11:00 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default No Budget Cup - That's Numberwang! Racing

After Andy Carlile's inspiring Carlsberg thread (on the Northloop forum, he's a rather quick motorcyclist), and chatting to Martin in the Burgstube bar at the Ring during a damp Easter I was enthused about doing some racing. I started scouting about the internet for suitable bikes and finally the hand of karma sending me a nice 'leccy bill rebate I've decided it's time for to go racing in the No Budget Cup.

So the new endurance race team to fear is:

That's Numberwang! Racing

(Inspired by the highly logical gameshow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDu5...eature=related )

We shall be competing in (most of) the remaining races in the No Budget Cup, a motorcycle racing series with a number of 3hr endurance races in Belgium and France:

http://www.nobudgetcup.be/default.aspx

As we are not a group of girls we have decided to compete in the 600+ class (well the bike I turned up on the.org happened to fit in this class). None of the pansy 600 cc stuff that Andy C fairies about in .

The steed for this series was be collected this weekend from Halifax whilst Yorkie Chris suns himself in Spain, and has been returned to Holland for a little pre-race fettling before our first race. A 1996ish Suzuki GSX-R 750 SRAD with race bodywork, race front subframe, suposed Bob Farnham tuned engine, reworked front forks, spare engine, carbs, swing arm and a few other bits and bobs fitted (Some previous pictures of it from various owners in the last few months) :

Complete with Ohlins rear shock (this is gold with a blue sticker so must be an original and will automatically make us a lot faster as we draw on our huge reserves of riding skill):

Arrow 4-2-1 Exhaust system (needs a quieter can, but the fact it is noisey must mean it adds another 50bhp):

Steering Damper (to stop us steering the wrong way at the wrong time, but hopefully it'll let us steer the right way at the right time):

Suzuki Alloy Racing Radiator (The fact it has this is cool and must mean the bike is uber cool):

Spare wheels with intermediate tyres (these will be swapped for wets so we can go slow safely in the rain instead of going slowly dangerously in the rain):

The bike has a few scuffs after an off at Mallory, but nothing significant and recently completed a TD at Cadwell, so hopefully only minimum fettling will be required (pads, bar end, a little lockwiring, new end can and whatever else we find....) .

The bike at Dover sans bellypan:

A boot full of bits:

Back in the "stable":

Being an endurance series multiple team riders are required, Andy Carlile didn't seem willing to be poached from team free Swiss, apparently paying to ride isn't as attractive. Not having vast finances I've had to find some riders able to contribute to entry fees and running costs. This has been managed and a team of great skill and depth of experience have been put together, i.e all members of the team have never raced before! Having missed the first race of the series we still expect to be series champions by the end of the season. In reality we want to finish the races and hope to overtake something at some stage.

If anyone fancies dropping in to watch us race we shall be at Zolder on the 11th May, August 4th and September 29th. We'll probably also be at Dijon on the 17th/18th July.

There are a number of pit crew vacancies for the above races, including such amazing roles as refuelling person, paddock stand man and general race strategist/refreshment supplier/hanger on, let me know if you'd like to help at any of the above events.

Pilot No.1 That's Numberwang! Racing
Old 18-04-10, 11:06 PM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: No Budget Cup - That's Numberwang! Racing

Awesome!

Take lots of pics and post some reports on here! I'd be totally up for joining the Numberwang team if I wasn't so far away

Best of luck
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-10, 08:27 AM   #3
Tim in Belgium

I'll update this thread with both bike preparation and event reports, there are a number of small bits and pieces to do before the first race. And a few things to suss out.
Old 19-04-10, 09:26 AM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Best of luck Tim and Team Numberwang! Racing

Looking forward to the updates and race reports. And on the nonexistent chance that I make it to one of the rounds I would be more than happy to volunteer my services as spare rider/ pit crew/ general hanger on/ well wisher.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-10, 10:12 AM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Your missing out on power - fit some rim tape RIGHT NOW!!!

the more flourescent its properties, the more power you exract

The best of luck
Old 19-04-10, 11:18 AM   #6
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Uber cool intro to your bike and team. I'm excited to here more already.

Good luck.
Old 19-04-10, 11:19 AM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
Your missing out on power - fit a Top Box RIGHT NOW!!!

The best of luck
What Matt meant to say.

Looks like a load of fun, enjoy
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-10, 02:13 PM   #8
Berlin

Fantastic Tim!
The bike also has a kit ECU and the front pads are new (EBC race) so no need to change those.

And its sacrilidge you're changing the can! You're about to silence the best sounding bike ever in the history of the world. Keep it on and scare the bejesus out of anyone you come up behind.

Good luck with the series and hold on tight!

Info on the gearing. On the longest straight, work out how far off the redline and in which gear on the track you are on (1st practice) and gear it accordingly. If you aren't getting anywhere near the redline in top, gear it down. Plan to use all of the rev range.

You might not have 190bhp but you can match the *thrust* of the 190 bhp machines if you gear it right. Not that there are going to be many 190bhp machines in the series mind you!

C
Old 19-04-10, 06:33 PM   #9
Tim in Belgium

Carl/Chris, is there a trick to getting the rear pod off? I undid it so it was loose, but then it didn't feel like it would stretch wide enough to slide off over the bits.

Carl - the steering damper is a W.L.R

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 19-04-10 at 06:39 PM.
Old 19-04-10, 06:38 PM   #10
ChrisSV

Best of luck to ya