SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-10, 03:34 PM   #1
Fishtits

Default Thinking of buying a Gladius

Hello all... i've joined in the hope that people more knowledgable can help with my decision on my first 'big' bike.

I'm looking at buying a Suzuki Gladius - despite the stupid name and the reputation as being designed for women - I personally quite like the styling, especially with some of the various extras added on.

Currently i'm toying with the idea of a Gladius, a 650 naked Bandit, the SV650S, the ER-6N, or the Honda 600 Hornet (all to be bought from new in 2010 models). Thoughts on the above would be much appreciated - good and bad - and any horror stories of course. I appreciate an owner's club-type forum isn't the best place for impartial advice but it's certain the best for knowledge and experience.

Now I know about Suzuki's reputation for rusting and decay and it's a concern if I do buy a Suzuki. Is it really that bad? And what measures (if any) exist to combat it? For the sake of an extra grand would I be better off with a Honda for the build quality?

I've ridden all of the above bikes and like them all... it's all going to come down to build quality and which one I prefer the look of, as I get on well with them all!!

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I don't want to make a decision only to regret it in 6 months time.
Old 21-04-10, 03:39 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thinking of buying a Gladius

If you want build quality get the honda. If you want a fun riding experience get the SV650 or gladius.

I quite like the gladius to be honest, I would probably get one of those.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-10, 03:43 PM   #3
LK-SV

Welcome

Do it ...

I went from a SV650S to an ER6F, as (for commuting) I found the SV uncomfortable ..... however, although the 2 bikes have similar (on paper) engines ..... the SV's (and hence Gladius') V Twin is a much smoother, and characterful engine, with a little more grunt IMO ....

Er6 is a cracking bike .... but if it had the fairings, etc, that I wanted .... I'd buy a Gladius over it for the V Twin .....

Honda's a good bike .... never ridden one, but I imagine its fairly boring with that engine ....

You've ridden them .... what are your thoughts ??
Old 21-04-10, 03:46 PM   #4
davepreston

acf 50 stops rot thru winter (keep well away from brakes) imho the whole rust suzuki thing is rubbish look after your bike properly and it will be grand
this may sound strange but if your tall go for the er6/bandit/sv650s if your shorter go gladius or hornet
personally i think bandits are boring and the hornet i rode was a bit lacking compared to the others you are looking at
id toss up betwen the sv650s the er6 and the gladius then go on looks and personal preferance
Old 21-04-10, 03:46 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

The Sv's good fun to ride. The only thing I don't particularly like is the colour schemes of the gladius, but I did see one in red and that look ok, and don't they do one in black?

The Blandit and Hornet would be fine, although having ridden a Hornet, it was as bland as a blandit. The Er6 I know nowt about. The Sv650s I have in curvy form and I love it
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-10, 03:46 PM   #6
mjc

welcome.

i dont think suzuki build quality is as bad as people make out. maybe not as good as honda but no worse than kawasaki. use ACF50 to protect against corrosion.

i say, if you like them all get the cheapest.

but not the gladius.
Old 21-04-10, 03:49 PM   #7
LK-SV

I've taken a good look at the Yamaha XJ .... know little about it .... but that looks a cracking bike ...
Old 21-04-10, 03:52 PM   #8
Fishtits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
welcome.

i dont think suzuki build quality is as bad as people make out. maybe not as good as honda but no worse than kawasaki. use ACF50 to protect against corrosion.

i say, if you like them all get the cheapest.

but not the gladius.
Thanks for the smile at the end there!

Thanks all for the replies... Yeah i've ridden them all. The ride on the Bandit and Hornet is very similar, the SV and Glad also similar (of course).

The Bandit I think is out purely because I think it looks quite boring, and for that reason think i'd get fed up of looking at it, never mind riding it.

The Hornet has Honda's build quality, and I like the looks, but the engine doesn't seem as much fun.

The SV and the Glad are very similar... One is a first big sporty-type bike, the other a first big streetfighter-type bike in terms of riding position and looks.

I'm glad to hear that the Suzuki build quality is hyped... I did wonder if that was a label which has carried over from 10 years or so ago and one which the manufacturer hasn't shaken yet. I can't believe in this day and age that the build quality would be that abysmal. I'll take on board your points with regard to how to minimise corrosion and it's good to hear it's preventative.
Old 21-04-10, 03:54 PM   #9
Girth
Mega Poster

Just to throw a spanner in the works, have you considered the Triumph Street Triple?
Old 21-04-10, 03:54 PM   #10
LK-SV

.............. and your thoughts on the ER6 ??? *rolls eyes*