SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-15, 10:13 AM   #1
Stinka

Default Mod 1 test on my sv

Can I stick my sv in the back of my van and turn up at the test centre and drop it out and just do the test ?

I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible ya see.
I feel like my training company are extracting loads of money and the cost is mounting up ! It's £15 a pop to do mod one, so if i do it a couple of times or whatever it's still cheaper than the cost of riding up there with my instructor on a hire bike etc.

I know I've got the mod 1 nailed, my road riding is perfect. The cost is just frustrating
Old 06-11-15, 02:31 PM   #2
mumija

Default Re: Mod 1 test on my sv

As far iam awere you can use your own vehicle as long its restricted, mot'ed and insured. Call t dvla for more info.
Old 06-11-15, 02:33 PM   #3
Stinka

I'm 37 been driving a car 20 yrs, is the restriction still applicable?
Old 06-11-15, 03:50 PM   #4
atassiedevil

nope, but good luck getting insurance for the day, i hear its expensive.
Old 06-11-15, 04:41 PM   #5
Stinka

Insurance to ride around a tennis court ?
Old 06-11-15, 04:51 PM   #6
atassiedevil

Mod1 it wont matter too much.
They do make you sign a declaration that you have valid insurance etc. Technically, you should have.
Old 06-11-15, 06:18 PM   #7
madcockney

It is not very easy to get insurance if you have not passed your test unless it's a 125. There is also a weight to KW ratio that you need to check. I assume that you are doing the category A test that means:

• be at least 595cc
  • be at least 40kW engine power categories A
  • can’t have a power to weight ratio of more than 0.16kW/kg

Now that applies to the module 2 and I would assume that the same applies to Mod 1. Are you taking any lessons to do the Module 1? The school should be able to advise, but I know on other sites instructors have said that you need the same power bike and the power to weight issue has been a bit of a arbitrary point to using the SV650 though I have never seen anything definitive.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 03:52 PM   #8
Corny Gizmo

I wouldnt use the SV for MOD 1, I think its a bit lumpy and difficult for the U turn etc. I dont know for sure but It doesnt feel like a good idea.

I have been thinking about using mine to re-do my test to get rid of the restriction. its a pain in the ar*e
Old 09-11-15, 06:14 PM   #9
madcockney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo View Post
I wouldnt use the SV for MOD 1, I think its a bit lumpy and difficult for the U turn etc. I dont know for sure but It doesnt feel like a good idea.

I have been thinking about using mine to re-do my test to get rid of the restriction. its a pain in the ar*e
I can't speak about the 2nd generation SV650 but I have the S version and certainly some of what you need to do with Mod 1 would be difficult on that if not impossible.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 07:44 PM   #10
AlexAdams

I think you need insurance in case you damage the surface of the test area. Throttle body balance, tps adjust, clutch adjusted as per manual, the sv would be ok but the lesser lock on the S may well make the U turn an interestimg one. Also the position of the S with more weight on the bars will make the slow manouevers harder.