SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-08-06, 12:29 AM   #1
klohiq

Default after the sv will you stay with a vtwin or go with an i4?

I'm still on the fence with this one. I love the vtwin sound a lot, but many of the bikes I love (older mille rsv, honda rc51) are up there in terms of price compared to my other much loved choice (96-03 ninja zx7r). Another bike I've been really into is the 05 zx6r (the 06 came with some graphics I don't like) and it's the only bike other than the mille that has a slipper clutch and it's also the lightest bike I'm looking at too.

Anyone else have opinions on this one? I'll probably keep this bike for quite awhile, but eventually I want to get a true sportbike with a full fairing and all the goodies. For now though, I love how easy it is to get at things on this bike and how light and easy this thing moves around on the road.
Old 20-08-06, 12:43 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Most of the bikes I lust after are twins... Not particularily a twin fan, though, it's just that bike companies seem to put twins into the sort of bikes I like With the exception of Triumph and Benelli's triples, and MV Augusta's F4i.

If I was looking for a new bike tomorrow, it'd be another SV most likely! Though I've a hankering for a VFR800i, or a KTM Duke II, or a 2005-onwards R1.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-06, 01:56 AM   #3
nickj

I went from an SV to a Kwak 636 B1H, i really love my new bike and the characteristics of an IL4 but do miss the sound of a twin.

It will be a purely personal choice and i don't think anyone on here will be able to help you make your mind up.

Personally i want one of each but i'm greedy
Old 20-08-06, 02:25 AM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
it'd be another SV or a 2005-onwards R1.
how can you compare these 2 bikes?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-06, 02:33 AM   #5
nickj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
it'd be another SV or a 2005-onwards R1.
how can you compare these 2 bikes?
I agree with this, they are completely different bikes..

Sorry after posting this i realised i was more confused because Northy your not wet behind the ears and know what your on about....so am interested to see why such difference in bikes
Old 20-08-06, 03:56 AM   #6
stuartyboy

V TWIN
I struggled with my sv to begin with but have made some mods and its magic now - new can, tps and new tyres. I love the difference its made and I cant wait to ride as much as i can. I'm a newbie relatively but loving very minute of it and getting better each ride.

HOWEVER - the suspension on the sv could be a lot better. This will be my next mod - (note to self to give northy a shout).

i haven't tried any other twins like ducatis, vfrs etc so its purely subjective towards svs.

IL4
I've been completely spoiled recently. Had a cbr600 to play with for a week and it really is leagues apart from the sv in many ways. smoother, corners better, suspension better (by miles) and easier to ride IMO. But this is a completely different bike so not a good comparison.

Downsides is it just doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as my sv.

PERSONAL CONCLUSION
I'm keeping my sv no matter what. But... i will be spending my birthday money on an IL4 cbr or thundercat so i can have the best of both worlds.
Old 20-08-06, 07:50 AM   #7
muffles

my next bike will probably be a ss600, so IL4 for me...
Old 20-08-06, 08:25 AM   #8
Peter Henry

I went from the SV vee twin to that rather clever Ducati L twin. Those Italians are brilliant you know? How did they figure it out to have one piston stroke shorter than the other?
Old 20-08-06, 08:49 AM   #9
kwak zzr

V TWIN HERE CHAPPS!

my cousins uncle is well LOADED and hes skipping nicely bettween bikes at the mo a few to mention are- vfr800,fazer600,fireblade,xj1300,02-r1 and the newest animal to the garage a zx636 and guess what? he dont like the 636 either
hes had a test ride on a tuono and wants one of those next! hes only had the 636 3weeks but says its too revvy! i'll have to wait and see if he get v twin converted.
Old 20-08-06, 08:50 AM   #10
Saint Matt

I think next bike for me will be an SV1000S, then an 04 onwards R1 when insurance drops