SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-09-05, 04:25 PM   #1
CarlSV650

Default Insured my SV650 with Carole Nash, robbing dogs!!

I`m always quick to praise companies, so this is an odd topic for me.

Renewed my insurance with Carole Nash a month ago, cheapest quote by £25. £178 fully comp. Happy Carl and all is well.

Still hadn`t received my policy today so gave them a bell, turns out even though they took the full amount quoted it wasn`t enough!!

Apparently the woman had given me the wrong price! I said how`s that possible it`s all done by computer.... silence... then backtracking she tried to say there must have been a problem with the payment process. So I read what it said on my statement to her..... more silence.

Supervisor gets involved, says there`s a shortfall and I have to pay an extra £42. I say I don`t think so the other quotes I got were only £25 more, silence and got put on hold.

After 3 minutes another person takes over, I say give me my money back and I`ll go elsewhere. She says there`s a cancellation fee of over £50, after pointing out I`ve made no mistake they have and another five mins on hold they only charge me £22 extra.

Oh and for the month I had no policy I was only covered third party, so I`ve got eleven months cover now and had to pay the same as 12 months cover everywhere else.

Bad, bad service.

They didn`t even write to tell me I wasn`t fully covered!!

Carl.
Old 12-09-05, 04:29 PM   #2
SVeeedy Gonzales

I had bead service from them too, but other people on here have had good service... it really does seem to depend on who you get/time of day/etc. as to whether you'll have hassles from your insurer.
Old 12-09-05, 04:32 PM   #3
Noufy

I've had very good service from them, was with them when I had the 749, and they were very helpful when it got stolen Got my insurance money without any quibbles.

But they weren't the cheapest when it came to insuring the SV
Old 12-09-05, 04:34 PM   #4
lynw

cant fault them tbh. had good service from them with no problems with the quote...

now mce saying there wasnt anyone else who would quote cheaper...
Old 12-09-05, 04:34 PM   #5
CarlSV650

you would think they`d let you know if you`re not insured though!! they took my money quick enough!!
Old 12-09-05, 04:43 PM   #6
lynw

check and see if you have any rights to cancel - isnt there an insurance ombudsman that can help with any complaints?
Old 12-09-05, 05:01 PM   #7
21QUEST
Mega Poster

I'm sure you can cancel but it's still going to cost you.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 05:01 PM   #8
thor

Tell them to give you money off your policy for their cack handedness or you will

a) Take them to the trading standards agency for overcharging you. The verbal contract you made on the phone with them is binding.

b) Complain to the Financial Services Authority as their failure to provide cover. Their documentation they sent to you will by law contain the informations as to how you would do this.

Make sure you inform them that you have a recording of the conversation.
Old 12-09-05, 05:02 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I could be talking rubbish but it sounds to me like you and CN made a contract over the phone( which would have been recorded) and as long as they took your money and said nothing tyey are bound by it.They can't then cliam you did'nt have the cover you had bought in the ensuing month nor vary the price when they see fit.Make a formal complaint.
Old 12-09-05, 06:19 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Just to clear up a couple of misconceptions, the Ombudsman can't offer advice, their role is only to get involved once all else has failed- ie, you've completed the company's complaints handling procedure. You have no reight at all to complain to the FSA, they regulate compamnies not cases. They run the Ombudsman for that.

Second, and this is more important, those cancellation fees that all insurance companies will impose only apply in the case of a no-fault cancellation- in other words, when you decide to cancel through no fault of the brokers. When a cancellation is caused by broker error they are legally obliged to offer a pro-rated refund with no admin fees. In many circumstances, you'd be able to reasonably claim the whole balance- mainly when the cover offered doesn't reach the standard originally specced.

In this case, though, I'd say that 's pretty much irrelevant as no claim was made- the level of cover doesn't matter. Yes, it's bad service, but if it were me I'd still look on it as being marginally cheaper than the competitors, and generally offering a higher level of service than the competition. It might not feel lke it just now, but CN are one of hte better companies. The measure of an insurer isn't in how goo they are at taking your money (this is how most people seem to judge them) but at how good they are at dealing with claims, and CN consistently get good reports on their settlement times etc.

In other words, as tempting as it might be to chuck your rattle, you're probably better to stay where you are.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote