SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-02-05, 09:41 AM   #1
Nickster78

Default Expensive work needed!

My bike passed its MOT with flying colours on Saturday but the mechanic told me that the noise I had noticed shouldn't be there and that he thought it was the scissor gears???? (don't ask me!) and that to fix it he would need the bike for 2 days and because the whole engine needs to be lifted out that it will costs about £300. (not chuffed)

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know anything about this?

(Apparantley it only happens on the older sv's as newer components have been updated.)
Old 07-02-05, 01:59 PM   #2
BURNER

How many miles has your bike done?
Old 07-02-05, 03:32 PM   #3
Nickster78

Bikes done 20,000, however it had a reconditoned engine put in it just before I bought it as the last owner had run it dry of oil and that has now still only done 5,000!
Old 07-02-05, 03:58 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

You want to get a professional second opinion... What sort of noise is it?

Also, it could be I'm just dense, but WTF is a scissor gear?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-05, 10:31 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Also, it could be I'm just dense, but WTF is a scissor gear?
....it fits between the thrimble washer and the waffle sprocket

(no, I've no idea either! )
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 12:25 AM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I don't think there are any of the type gears sometimes referred to as "scissor gears" on an SV.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 10:27 AM   #7
Nickster78

Apparently the scissor gears are on the camshafts.
Old 08-02-05, 10:51 AM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Is this a 650 or a 1000?

If it is, as I think it is, a 650 there aren't any of the quietening 'scissor gears' on the cams, they're only fitted to the 1000s.

Far more likely is that the camchain tensioners are a little sticky, to make them work again usually doesn't require their replacement, in fact it usually doesn't even require their removal, just the cap removed and the plunger reset.

Please check this very carefully before going any further.

Of course if you do have a 1000, it is a possibility, however the problem was mostly confined to the early TLs, I've not heard of a problem with the SV1000 cam sprockets as they are of a quite different design.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 10:54 AM   #9
weegaz22

well thats a new one to me scissor gears?
Old 08-02-05, 11:01 AM   #10
weegaz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Is this a 650 or a 1000?

If it is, as I think it is, a 650 there aren't any of the quietening 'scissor gears' on the cams, they're only fitted to the 1000s.

Far more likely is that the camchain tensioners are a little sticky, to make them work again usually doesn't require their replacement, in fact it usually doesn't even require their removal, just the cap removed and the plunger reset.

Please check this very carefully before going any further.

Of course if you do have a 1000, it is a possibility, however the problem was mostly confined to the early TLs, I've not heard of a problem with the SV1000 cam sprockets as they are of a quite different design.
sounds like a older 650 to me sid as he said

Quote:
Apparantley it only happens on the older sv's as newer components have been updated.)

in which case id agree with sid and say its the tensioners