SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-09-09, 05:38 PM   #1
Pukey

Default k3 rear subframe

Hey People,

I think that I would prefer my seat height a lttle lower than it is, as far as I can tell I have lowered dogbones already as they have a manufacturers name on them, can't remember what it is though? What is the standard length of them?

If I'm to assume that the rear subframe governs the seat height would it be possible to change my K3 one for a later (lower) one?

Will my rear body work fit on to a later frame?

It seems that I would need the later seat and black cover plates which cover the seat bolts, am I correct?

Would any other components require changing?

And finally the big question, if these bparts are interchangable, is there any giants in the southwest who have a later bike, they feel requires extra seat heat that wants to swap the relevant components for mine?

Cheers Luke
Old 28-09-09, 05:58 PM   #2
barwel1992

Default Re: k3 rear subframe

i think the panels on the back are diforent as well not sure thogh and you may be able to get a slower profile seat
Old 28-09-09, 06:37 PM   #3
Pukey

Anybody know if this is the case?

The problem is that I have a copper bike so panel swapping isn't an option!

Cheers again Luke
Old 28-09-09, 07:55 PM   #4
barwel1992

ahh right you could get the panels sprayed
Old 30-09-09, 04:40 AM   #5
Mr_Chin

Before carrying out such drastic measures, have you tried using a lowered seat first? There are two versions, one lowered by 10mm, and another lowered by 30mm. I had both of these so know they exist. HTH. Chin
Old 30-09-09, 12:23 PM   #6
Pukey

Hello Mr Chin,

Didn't know they existed!

How are they lowered? less foam in the cushion?

Unfortunately I'm going to be away for a couple of days probably without internet access, so excuse me if I don't keep an eye out for your answer!

Cheers Luke
Old 30-09-09, 12:31 PM   #7
xXBADGERXx

There was a lowered seat for sale on here the other day , i shall go and have a rummage for you , K3 seats , subframes , and side panels are different from the later models , beware of some described as K4 , they can often be called that when in fact they are late registered K3 models , so make sure which model fits the current bike you own .
Old 30-09-09, 12:57 PM   #8
Mr_Chin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukey View Post
Hello Mr Chin,

Didn't know they existed!

How are they lowered? less foam in the cushion?

Unfortunately I'm going to be away for a couple of days probably without internet access, so excuse me if I don't keep an eye out for your answer!

Cheers Luke
Yes, the foam is scooped out, then re-covered - why not try it yourself? Simply, untack all the staples under the seat, scoop the foam to your desired height, then re-cover (make sure that the foam is all level, as any dodgy cutting will show through when re-covered). You'll need a staple gun to do this though - not one that you've nicked from School . I just thought that replacing all the rear sub frame just to get the correct seating position was a bit much. If you're not up to scooping the seat yourself, IIRC, Cupar Motorcycles sell lowered seats for about £32 (brand new). HTH, Chin.
Old 30-09-09, 01:16 PM   #9
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chin View Post
Yes, the foam is scooped out, then re-covered - why not try it yourself? Simply, untack all the staples under the seat, scoop the foam to your desired height, then re-cover (make sure that the foam is all level, as any dodgy cutting will show through when re-covered). You'll need a staple gun to do this though - not one that you've nicked from School . I just thought that replacing all the rear sub frame just to get the correct seating position was a bit much. If you're not up to scooping the seat yourself, IIRC, Cupar Motorcycles sell lowered seats for about £32 (brand new). HTH, Chin.
If you mess it up, I have a stock K3 seat sat in my loft.

Try to find a local seat sculptor. We've got one up here who is very good. They scoop out your seat, contour it for comfort and for a bit extra they can put in a gel pad to get back some of the softness from the padding you've lost.