SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-09-09, 09:01 PM   #1
Holdup

Default Chain O ring, what is it for?

I feel im asking a stupid question here, but i honestly dont know, what are the main reasons behind o rings / x rings in chains? do they lock in grease and keep the s**t out?

Just i noticed this evening when i got home that one of my o rings had split and managed to break free and was stuck to my wheel, luckily its on the link that was added to join the chain together and it was going to be removed at some point because the chain is too long, also had i better not ride the bike untill its sorted?

Thanks
Old 05-09-09, 09:21 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chain O ring, what is it for?

you've basically answered your own question, the O ring was probably crushed when the link was fitted, use care not to squash the sideplate on to far.

The chain will be fine to ride without the o ring, but will wear quicker.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 09:22 PM   #3
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Yes all the O-rings are meant to do is keep the grease in and the dirt out, cleaning and 'lubing' the chain is merely to keep the O-rings moist, prevent rust and keep the worst dust/grit away from the O-rings.

Er what do you mean by "the chain is too long"? It shouldn't be possible to fit a chain that is too long without it virtually dragging on the floor.

Druid
Old 05-09-09, 09:40 PM   #4
Holdup

Ok cheers guys, ill try and get it sorted tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdruid View Post
Er what do you mean by "the chain is too long"? It shouldn't be possible to fit a chain that is too long without it virtually dragging on the floor.
I got sent a kit for a SV650 and not a SV650S and realised after fitting so have the 110 link chain and 45 tooth RR sprocket, not that bothered about the sprocket but got sent a new link a while back but just havent got round to removing 2 whole links and putting a new one in yet, its basicly 2 away from full adjustment.