SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-11, 06:43 AM   #1
svian

Default Remap needed after fitting new exhaust?

Hi, New to SV ownership and have a question about fitting a slip on. I have done a lot of searching but not really found a definite answer. On a 2006 model I understand there is a cat in the silencer? By removing this and fitting a slip on which will clearly be freer breathing is there a need to re-map / fit a power commander or will the bike run fine with no damage to the engine?
Old 29-08-11, 07:05 AM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Remap needed after fitting new exhaust?

Personally I wouldn't remove the cat, it's achieves nothing of any notable gain so leave it in.

Most link pipes allow for the cut to be done after the cat anyway.
Old 29-08-11, 08:32 AM   #3
svian

Hi, Thanks for reply. I am still confused though as from what I can read the cat is in the original silencer? Which is obviously removed when a slip on is fitted. As I understand it the 07- models have a cat in the down pipes too? My bike is a 2006 model.
Old 29-08-11, 09:44 AM   #4
Specialone

The cat that a few people remove is in the pipe just towards the bottom roughly around the area where it starts to rise upwards towards the can.
I'm posting this from memory so forgive me if I'm not bang on accurate.

I'm not familiar with model changes so not sure if yours is different to the k7 I had.
I'll see if I can find a pic of mine when I done it.

You can make out the band clamp directly below the clutch cover to the left of it, the cat was just before that on my bike.

Last edited by Specialone; 29-08-11 at 09:53 AM.
Old 29-08-11, 09:55 AM   #5
Chris Bird

I've got an 06 bike. When I removed my exhaust I didn't even think about the cat. I don't know where it, I don't know what it does. I just took a hacksaw to the pipe about 2 or 3 inches after the weld. After putting on the new can it felt much nicer and the lower revs were more accessible. I already had a higher flow rate air filter on before doing this though. I'll stick a picture up of the cut... May be I did it wrong but it works alright...
Old 29-08-11, 10:19 AM   #6
Chris Bird

Old 29-08-11, 10:43 AM   #7
Specialone

Chris, did you cut out the honeycomb matter in the pipe, a few people hack it out with a screwdriver.
Old 29-08-11, 11:27 AM   #8
svian

Hi, Thanks for the pics. The pipe on my bike had already been cut by a previous owner but there is no sign of any honeycombe type material - it looks just like the pic posted by Chris Bird. Thanks for the replies - will give the bike a ride and see how she runs.
Old 29-08-11, 12:12 PM   #9
Chris Bird

Honey comb matter???
Old 29-08-11, 12:17 PM   #10
Chris Bird

Actually I seem to remember there being a black plastic type material between the two layers of metal in the pipe. It's not there any more so I assume it has either been burnt up or blown out the back... Is that the honey comb matter you're talking about it?