SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-09-08, 09:31 PM   #1
hang man

Default hello all , new here and new to bikes

Hi all , just recently I've been interested in motorcycles and decided to take the MSF course , however the places around here are booked up for the rest of the year and reserved a spot for next spring (which falls great and within my bonus to pay for a new bike) , in any case I've done quite a bit of researching and first came to the conclusion that a Suzuki GS500F would be a perfect starter bike but i don't want to be messing with cleaning carbs and engine maintenance i am not qualified to do, so i figured I'd go with a SV650 naked model

Would any of you recommend this bike for a beginner?

I've already placed orders on gear as i know from extensive research ATGATT

These are the items ordered (any info good or bad on them would be greatly appreciated )

First item ..helmet http://www.sportbikedude.com/eshoppr...__GRAPHICS.htm

Second item...armor http://www.pashnit.com/product/bohn.html i got them so i can wear normal jeans instead of the Scorpion Deuce pants which i returned because they are way too heavy and the knee armor is very awkward when standing up and walking around.

Third item....riding shoes http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...eet-Shoes.aspx

The reviews on these shoes are a no brainer

Fourth item...gloves http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-2-Gloves.aspx don't know anything about motorcycle gloves but the price is decent

Fifth item....jacket http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...In-Jacket.aspx don't want to look like a power ranger so Black Naked is on its way.
Old 13-09-08, 09:38 PM   #2
BBadger

Default Re: hello all , new here and new to bikes

Hello and welcome to the ORG.!
naked is the way to go =D clever choise and it has to be pointy of course.

I would recomend proping down to a bike shop, HG type thing and trying on some good gear so you get a feel for it and know sizes.
or If youve got time on your hands wait for the moto show at the NCE, bargins and everything you could ever try on.

BUT NEVER EVER SKIMP ON GEAR ... its your life and well worth it.

good luck !
Old 13-09-08, 09:44 PM   #3
Rhiwbina_Squirrel

Have you tried on the helmet? A £50 lid that fits well is going to do you a lot better than one that doesn't fit great and costs an arm and a leg.
Know nothing of the armour, or the rest of the things actually. You might want to consider some back protection too! Knox contour and forcefield pro2 seem to be most popular.
Welcome to the .org by the way!

Alex
Old 13-09-08, 09:56 PM   #4
hang man

Wow that was quick (replying)...Thank You for the welcome , as far as back protection the jacket has CE approved armor in all inpact areas and the helmet , well i'll have to wait till it gets here to know for sure (i used their sizing chart ) it also has different size pads that can be swaped out , it is also the lightest helmet i could find , only one other helmet is lighter (made by BMW at $1,500 dollars)but it is rediculously expensive .....heres the chart

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm
Old 13-09-08, 09:59 PM   #5
Foxy

Hi and welcome make sure you try everything on and that it fits before you buy
Old 13-09-08, 10:04 PM   #6
mrs cuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyinleather View Post
Hi and welcome make sure you try everything on and that it fits before you buy

Hi ya, I go with Foxy on this as all makes vary in sizes so good luck.
Old 13-09-08, 10:56 PM   #7
ArtyLady

Hello
Old 13-09-08, 11:04 PM   #8
dirtsk8

Hi there. You may want to consider gear more suited to the British climate. Traditional boots for a start. The helmet's a cracker, but as has been said already, fit is just as important. Weight doesn't really come into it, tbh. If it was me, I'd be having proper leather gloves, too.

Good luck with your test when it finally comes round.
Old 14-09-08, 09:25 PM   #9
DF!

Hi and welcome!

The guys are right about the right gear and well fitting too. I bought a lot of stuff on-line (because it's cheaper), but I had been to several shops to gauge size. I bought my helmet from a shop. Great deal, Marushin RS1 carbon (1050g) for £150!

I came off recently (im pretty inexperienced, and didn't handle a situation very well, plus was going too quick according to witnesses! I can't really remember!), anyway, i came off and busted myself up a bit (intensive care type 'a bit'). All of my gear was cut off, and my helmet was scrapped too. If I didn't have my gear on I would have been dead. end of story.

Oh, and SV's are well regarded over here as great starter bikes, and loved by the experienced riders too. Great chioce. (plus they make a sweet noise!)
Old 14-09-08, 09:34 PM   #10
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Hey there and welcome to the SV appreciation and cuddling club. Yes, yes, buy an SV, but do get a pointy, they are way prettier. The Curvys are Swamp Donkeys with rickets by comparison (that should get them beating down my door and burning me in a wicar man!). My Pointy (K3) is gorgeous, well I am told it is, I am still to pass my test, so it sits brooding in the garage until I can legally swing a leg over the seat. Until then it will just be naughty rides when no one is looking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote