SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-09-06, 11:42 AM   #1
Tris

Default Santa Pod

Was there on Saturday

Top Fuel Dragster - 4.6 seconds & 318 mph terminal speed.

Super Twins ACE especially because the quickest wasn't a H£$%ly but a KTM

All the top fuel bike riders though must be as mad as cheese . One guy, still on the throttle, took out the timing lights in the middle of the track at the 1/4 mile and carried on untill he ran down the wall in the wrong lane.

'twas awsome - everyone should go at least once to see drag racing, especially the top fuel cars
Old 11-09-06, 03:03 PM   #2
Jester666

The first time I went we were standing by the start line. I had heard the noise as the top fuel guys did their burn outs and thought it wasn't too loud!
When they actually went for it though.............
My mate who was standing behind me couldn't work out if I was trying to put my head in my pocket or get my hands out of the pockets and into my ears!!
Soooo loud!
Excellent day out though.
Old 11-09-06, 03:40 PM   #3
philipMac

Huh. So, like, have you ever seen any of these lads blow up? I'd imagine the engine are on the ragged edge at the best of times.

I want to go and see a rally some day. Like, one of those nuts stages out in the **** end of Wales in a hilly forest or something. That would be kind of fun. Sitting on the side of the road, listening to the radio, and then hell breaks loose, and then peace again.

Like watching the Tour de France. Only louder.
Old 11-09-06, 06:09 PM   #4
Daimo

Anyone comment on the spectator death death?

Something about a dragster popping its chute and a bloke of 68 getting hit by debry. LAter died in hospital.
Old 11-09-06, 06:56 PM   #5
trickywoos

Blimey, not good.

I love drag racing, excellent day out, esp at Santa Pod.
Old 12-09-06, 11:05 AM   #6
Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666
My mate who was standing behind me couldn't work out if I was trying to put my head in my pocket or get my hands out of the pockets and into my ears!!
Which reminds me

Was in the barn at one point and there was a silly mare there with a baby. Neither she nor the baby had any hearing protection.
Top fuel funny car left the start line and she put her hands over her ears. She'll probably wonder why the poor little bu**er deaf
Old 12-09-06, 11:20 AM   #7
Daimo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/5334466.stm
Old 12-09-06, 01:48 PM   #8
SV1000s

I've never seen the point in this, all that money and effort for 10 seconds??
Old 12-09-06, 02:05 PM   #9
Daimo

Ahh but if we all thought like that, the world would be a boring place as we'd all end up doing the same things....
Old 12-09-06, 02:09 PM   #10
SV1000s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo
Ahh but if we all thought like that, the world would be a boring place as we'd all end up doing the same things....
oh, I agree, hence me saying that I have never seen the point, I was watching it on TV the other night and just didn't 'get it' I guess, other than the mechanics I just fail to see the skill involved. I'm sure there is a skill, just can't see what it is.

Give me bends and lean any day.