SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-06, 08:00 PM   #1
paddyfaefife

Default Burst seal at oil filter, Help!!!

Today i was changing my oil and oil filter then when i started my bike oil sprayed everywhere, i noticed iv damaged the seal on the bike where the oil filter connects when u screw it in. when i get time il drain all the oil and try fix this problem myself but i get a feeling the rubber seal may need replaced. has this ever happened to anyone before? and if so can you give me any advice on how to repair or maby you know how much it costs to repair?.
Old 09-06-06, 08:11 PM   #2
philipMac

Huh?
The oil filter comes with a rubber seal, which seals onto the metal of the engine casing. Are you sure you tightened the new filter well enough? Maybe you have a bogie filter, have a look to see if the rubber is cut, and try and exchange it off the shop you bought it.
Old 09-06-06, 08:13 PM   #3
Razor

Have you not left the seal on the bike instead of removing it with the old filter?
Old 09-06-06, 08:15 PM   #4
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Have you not left the seal on the bike instead of removing it with the old filter?
Ah. There you go. He must have done.
Old 09-06-06, 09:17 PM   #5
haggis

Did you smear a little fresh oil on the rubber to help it seal OK?

Or have you cross-threaded the filter?
Old 09-06-06, 10:26 PM   #6
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

sound slik eu say that took old one of... and the seal stayed on

then put a new filter on with seal>. so now two seals...! wouldnt be ace would it... and boom aleak.

matey - just take the filte roff.. u may find 2 seals.. keep the one nearest to the filter and chuck t'other.. smear some oil around it- but sounds like htreres plenty there already .. and tghten it up
depends how u get the oil filte roff i suppose.. if u have a wrench.. I use a screwdriver banged through it..So I would have to invest a tenner in another new filter--- which i would prob do anyway ....

dont htink u will need to renew oil will ya guys- just maybe top up.. as u will lose some... but i would take the oil filter off when the engine is cold...
Old 09-06-06, 10:27 PM   #7
paddyfaefife

Default Thanx, i think iv found the problem.

Jst come back in from the garage, i examined both filters and yes i reckon when i took the old filter off the rubber seal has stuck with the bike lol. iv been changing filters for years and this has never happened but tommorow il retry.
Thanx for the advice i only jst added this thread a few hours ago and didnt expect so many responces
Old 09-06-06, 10:33 PM   #8
philipMac

Default Re: Thanx, i think iv found the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyfaefife
Thanx for the advice i only jst added this thread a few hours ago and didnt expect so many responces
We are all just such painfully vocal know-it-alls really.
Old 09-06-06, 10:37 PM   #9
paddyfaefife

Default ok one more question then

my plan is too drain the oil into a clean bucket then deal with the oil filter and refit that and top up the oil. But if i was to just remove the oil filter how much oil would i be letn escape? does the whole engine get drained or is it just a fraction of oil being lost?
Old 09-06-06, 10:41 PM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thanx, i think iv found the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyfaefife
We are all just such painfully vocal know-it-alls really.
I am just sad with no mates and live on here!