SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-06, 07:25 PM   #11
northwind
Mega Poster

Nope But it can probably be done. The SV fuel sender is a really simple number, so if you've got a full wiring spec for the guage inuts, one of the clever people could probably figure it out.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-06, 11:15 AM   #12
zunkus

Is there anyone with a Haynes manual? I've lent mine to a friend and is not at hand, but if I recall correctly the sensor is nothing but a switch. I stand to be corrected of course. I'll get the manual tomorrow if you're willing to wait. If it's a switch the bulb should just light up, fullstop.
Old 10-06-06, 12:15 PM   #13
jambo
Mega Poster

Got a haynes manual for the curvey, the fuel sensor is listed as a 3 wire connection:

Black / White common ground
then from that ground 2 seperate resistors (sensors) and an output wire for each:
1 Red / Black
1 Green / Black

According to the manual if all is well the fuel light should come on for a few seconds when ignition is first turned on then light should flash when tak has around 3.5L left, and go permanently on at 1.5L left.

If the above is not happening And the bulb is ok drain tank flip over and rest on cloth so as not to scratch it, remove sensor and test as follows:

Connect Black/White, and Red/Black with jumper wire, with ignition ON the fuel light should flash, then stop 30 sec after jumper wire removed.

Reconnect wire between black/white and red/black, and make a seccond connection between black/white and green/black with ignition ON, light should be on permenantly. 30 sec after removal of jumper wires the light should go out.

This bypasses the fuel sensor so if it passes those tests ok but not when you have fuel in the tank it is probably a dicky sensor, if it does not act as described above then the fault isin the wiring of the bike or the instrument pod etc.

All robbed wholesale from Curvey Haynes manual section 9.16

Oh also a little instent gaset / sealent should be used when (carefully) re-fitting sensor and the tank should be checked for leaks on re-filling...

:edit: Not sure if you're on a pointy / curvey but I'd have thought the process would be fairly similar for either, things like colour of wires should not be taken as gospel on post K2 bikes though.
Old 10-06-06, 01:56 PM   #14
zunkus

Thanks for the info Jambo.
Old 10-06-06, 02:41 PM   #15
jambo
Mega Poster

No worries, you could try tracing the 3 wires to see if you could bridge them before the sensor to save taking the tank appart... not sure if it's possible or not...