SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-10, 03:29 PM   #1
Khosani

Default Electrical fault

Hey guys n gals,

I'm an experienced SV650S 2001 rider (sexy curvy model) riding since 2006, through the good, bad and worst of weathers and iv never had a major fault with my bike, she is very well looked after

However, a few weeks ago pretty much all but a few components of my electrics stopped working.
The front headlights, high and low beam work perfectly, as do my indicators. The high beam and indicator lights work on the dash. But NOTHING else, and i mean nothing. No speedo, rewv counter, neutral light, you name it and it won't work... Apart from when i apply both brakes then everything works as it should do.

She starts up first time everytime, rides 100% fine, but obviously in visability reduced weather or at night i prefer not to risk being driven into the back of.

I do recall speaking to another SV650 owner at a tribal gathering a few years ago who did mention to me she had a common fault with her bike, something to do with the rear electric cluster under the rear seat just infront of the break light. I believe it began with an 'R' however my memory fails me lol.

My frustration is i have visited 5 or 6 garages and each one has given me the trademark *sigh* sound to say it'll be a right pain to find and fix, and more likely cost me a pretty penny.

Has anyone else had this fault? My colleagues at work (also bikers) think it could well be a dodgy earth somewhere and with both brakes applied is causing it to connect or take an alternate route, as they have had somewhat similar problems in the past, shame none of them are SV riders.

Any help would be appreciated, many many thanks in advance

Pete.
Old 09-06-10, 10:12 PM   #2
Miss_Undaztood

Default Re: Electrical fault

Have you checked the fuses ?
Sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere or a bad earth but i`m not sure where.
Could the faulty part you cant remember be a relay ?
Old 09-06-10, 10:18 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

My guess is a wiring fault. Its quite common for the wiring loom to rub on the frame in a couple of places and then the bare wires touch the frame and pop a fuse or cause a short.

Places to check

Headstock.

By the main riders seat where the loom runs past the bolts the hold the seat on
it can rub on the bolts there.

Rear subframe anywhere, you might need to remove the rear plastics to check this properly though.

Personally thats where I would check, and the garages are correct solving eletrical problems can be a right pain in the bum and take a while to sort out.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 06:16 AM   #4
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

If you can't ee any obviously chaffed wiring I would start with the instrument wiring by checking the connectors inside the multi plugs, & making sure that all the wires are connected to the terminals inside the plug.

Suzuki have a habit of using nasty un insulated tags to join earth multiple wires together. It's not unknown to have one of these wires to become detatched from the tag inside the wiring loom. These can be a beggar to locate without a meter & a bit of know how.

Cheers.
Old 10-06-10, 08:07 AM   #5
Khosani

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

The fuses were the first thing i checked, everything looks fine in that department,
a few weeks earlier, round the time of her MOT i did strip her all down to just the frame, checked all the wiring, casings, etc. it all looked to be alright but its defo worth another check as the electrics didnt just suddenly go, they seemed to go off until i restarted the engine, this happened twice then jumped to the condition its in now.

I am hoping its a simple fault, somewhere easy to access so i can avoid going to a garage *good old haynes*

I'l have a look tonight after work and let you all know.

Thanks again guys.

Pete.