SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-09-18, 01:29 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Painting a metal gate

My metal driveway gates need painting, they're about 125cm tall and have 12 vertical posts (1 cm sq) and a bit of a decorative curve at the top. The drive is 3m wide approx. I'm intending on using Hammerite, anyone know roughly how much paint I'll need?

There are many helpful on line tips on how to do it, but none give or suggest paint coverage. Hammerite comes in 250ml and 750ml sizes.

I did a rough and ready calc and estimated 1sq mtr. total for both gates.

OK, Hammerite say 5sq mtr/ltr.

Last edited by Seeker; 21-09-18 at 01:36 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-18, 02:41 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Painting a metal gate

having been a blacksmith.

dont use hammerite shizz. buy proper oil based gloss paint, it lasts a lot longer and is cheeper. thin the paint down and lay 2-3 coats on using a lambswool or a foam one designed for gloss paint mini roller (radiator) to paint the gate/railings as its easier and faster than a brush. put a dust sheet down as your going to get paint on the ground/path.

use a wire brush and a chip hammer to clean the old paint up. any large patches of paint needing repaired can be done using car body filler.

as for the amount then get a small pot and if you need more get another, also remember the thinners. non drip gloss is shizz as it sags under its own weight so best thin it down.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-18, 10:15 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

If you want it to last a long time with no maintenance then 2 pack epoxy paints are available - the bad news is that when you have mixed the paint you have a couple of hours or so to use it before it starts to harden in the mixing vessel - we used to use 2 pack to paint machine frames that were in a corrosive atmosphere. Temperature needs to be above 10 deg C (above 20 even better ) and dry weather for paint to be its best.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-09-18 at 10:17 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-18, 10:22 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Starting point. Take them to your local sand blaster and get him to strip them back to shiny. Personally I would spray with 2 pack, but usual warnings apply. I have an air fed mask but you can use cartridge masks.

What about getting them powdercoated?